Reporting to: Managing Director
Direct reports: Regional officers
Key Relations: Data Analyst, HoDs Operations, Human Resource and Accounts
The job holder shall work closely with registered Small and Medium scale farmers across different counties to ensure that both the company and the farmers meet the production budgets. The job holder shall be responsible for Planning and implementing crop production programs and harvesting processes.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
- Provide leadership to the field agronomists, regional officers and small scale farmers to ensure smooth, efficient and profitable production of summer flowers.
- Provide professional and technical expertise to regional agronomists, field agronomists and small scale farmers on growing summer flowers using the best practices
- Train and mentor the production team and ensure they have the necessary skills, competencies and motivation to deliver the company's vision.
- Conduct publicity/Sensitization meetings as the basis for company expansion in existing and new areas
- Conduct routine demonstrations following successful publicity meetings at group level and in new areas
- Constitute and lead flower committees in all new areas to drive farmer selection process and adopt the production calendar and its key activities
- Preparation and implementation of farmers’ retention strategies.
- Schedule and hold policy meetings and trainings with all registered groups of farmers to enlighten then on developing policies and emerging trends in production of summer flowers.
- Conduct periodic feedback meetings with farmers across different regions
- Planning and organizing farmers’ field day.
- Development and implementation of a grower’s motivation reward scheme
- Ensure proper tracking and resolution of farmers grievances
- In consultation with the Managing Director, prepare and review annual production inputs, planting materials supply and production budget and present the same to the board.
- Ensure timely pre-planting planning to ensure planting is done within the stipulated timelines.
- Oversee adherence to the laid down production, harvesting and post harvesting codes of practice.
- Prepare and present monthly and quarterly production performance reports to the management and the board of directors respectively.
- Formulate and ensure effective crop nutrition programs/feeding regime are adopted
- Formulation and implementation of crop protection programs.
- Ensure that appropriate crop husbandry practices are efficiently carried out and within set timeframe.
- Ensure irrigation is properly done and the water management systems are functional.
- Monitor growth habit of the crop in various weather situations and advise management accordingly
New product development
- Identify and recommend new products to the management for expansion.
- Monitor the trends of new products an advice management on commercialization of new products.
- Ensure proper distribution of production personnel in liaison with the HR manager.
- Ensure proper disposal of Agro-chemical containers.
- Liaise with government agencies as authorized to ensure environmental health and safety compliance
- Formulation and implementation of water management strategies for the production regions.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent in agriculture, floriculture, agronomy or related subject.
- 3 years' experience in production summer flowers in a similar or related capacity.
- Experience in managing small scale and medium sized growers will be an added advantage
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES.
- Strong organizational, people management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a team, inspire and motivate staff.
- Solid and demonstrable planning, monitoring analytical and implementation skills.
- Ability to set measurable productivity targets across the company and ensuring the same are met.