Reports to: Directors
Location: Limuru Kenya
High level Position Summary (Describe the basic purpose of the role key areas of responsibility)
The role of the Production Manager, is to manage the manufacturing processes of the department to meet set deadlines, in a manner that is consistent with the productivity, quality, and cost, delivery, and safety expectations. He/she is responsible for planning and organizing production schedules, developing and evaluating effectiveness of departmental SOPs and providing the required leadership to ensure implementation of the same to enhance efficiency of the department.
General Responsibilities (These responsibilities are to be performed by all in the company irrespective of rank)
• Customer focus – personally demonstrate that external and internal customers are a high priority by identifying customer needs and expectations and responding to them in a timely and effective manner.
• Team work – be an effective team player who adds complementary skills and contributes valuable ideas, opinions and feedback to seniors and colleagues to facilitate work performance.
• Initiative – take initiative, look for new and productive ways to make an impact, and seek out and take new and increasing responsibilities, or solving problems as they occur.
• Innovative thinking – be on the lookout for new and innovative approaches that will improve efficiency, champion and encourage others to do likewise.
• Seeking Feedback – seek out feedback for the purpose of improving work performance and listen to such feedback given to you with an open mind.
• Safety consciousness – perform activities in a safe manner ensuring that colleagues are made aware of every form of risk that may occur to them while on duty.
• Productivity – work completion is consistently high especially when there is demand for high volumes. Be ready to be counted on for, when necessary to put in extra house to meet company goals and targets.
• Attendance & punctuality – Promptness at the start of the work day, always clocking in after changing in uniform if applicable.
Key Responsibilities (Provide details of key responsibilities; preferably in order of importance and/or time spent)
• Planning, coordinating and execution of the production objectives and schedules to ensure that production, pull planning and customer requirement targets for the Department are fully achieved.
• Continuous improvement using manufacturing excellence systems – Kaizen, TPM, ISO 22000:2005 etc.
• Develop and cascade the KPIs and monitor the same on the Balanced Score Card.
• Formulate and execute a sustainable production strategy, policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) in Productivity, Quality, Cost, Delivery, Safety (OSH) and Morale.
• Deletion of Muda, Mura and Muri in the production process while improving the productivity ratio.
• Develop and control the direct labour, direct materials and overheads budget for the Department.
• Process and People capability development while creating effective work environments in the Department.
• Manage third party contracts for manufacturing and the manufacturing service delivery for the Department.
• Optimization, care and improvement of the asset base while delivering an On Time, In Full and Error free operation.
• Measurement and the resultant correction or corrective action activities.
• Any other leadership assignment relevant to the fabric of the client.
Key Result Areas (Provide details of Key Result Areas; preferably in order of importance and/or time spent)
• Waste reduction in the department.
• Nil stock outs from poor production planning and scheduling.
• OEE, Measurement and Productivity improvement for the department.
• Develop capacity of the production team towards a flexible operation.
• Improve communication and accountability within the supply chain.
• Continuous improvement through operational excellence
Desired Skills & Competencies:
• Very good oral and written communication skills
• Detail oriented and with a high degree of accuracy
• Highly motivated, self-starter with good work ethic.
• Attention to detail and outstanding listening and follow up skills.
• High level of organizational and coordination skills.
• Must be adept at interacting with all levels of organization.
• Flexible and ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to effectively multitask and prioritize.
• Demonstrable attention to detail
• Must a good team player
Special Requirements: (Unique working conditions and circumstances, if applicable. For example, more than 30% travel required or working hours are in the evening)
1. 20% of his/her working time may be taken on visits to raw material suppliers and product distributors to strengthen business relationships, and safeguard company interests.
2. May be require from time to time to work beyond standard office hours.
Note: All job descriptions are subject to management review and may be modified based on business requirements. In case of any variation between this description and the actual duties performed, management has the right to make appropriate decision.
Relationships: (Enumerate the relationships internal and external that the holder of this position will relate with to perform his/her functions well)
2. Departmental Heads
3. Section Heads
4. Systems Auditors
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills Required (List the requisite educational degree, certification or professional accreditation; years and field of experience; and technical and behavioral competencies related to the job)
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science from a recognizable University
• Masters’ Degree will be an added advantage
• Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques applicable to a Food Manufacturing environment.
• 5 years’ experience in a similar position
• Unquestionable level of integrity.
• Excellent knowledge of Ms-Office packages