Employer: Dynamic start-up in the energy sector
Nairobi – Full time
About the company
We are a dynamic start-up in the renewable energy sector developing both on-grid and off-grid renewable energy projects.
Our mission is to provide reliable, affordable and sustainable access to energy in regions that do not have this today.
We use an innovative solution that relies on the most efficient, affordable and sustainable source of energy: hydropower. We harvest the power of running water and then transform it into electricity that is supplied to the national grid or distributed directly to households and businesses.
We develop small hydro projects from A to Z meaning we identify suitable locations, assess the technical & economic feasibility, we then design, finance & build the power plants and remain involved in the maintenance & operations once the plant is operational.
As part of our continued growth in Kenya and the EAC region, we are looking for a Project Development Engineer to support us in the identification & assessment of new potential hydropower sites, accompany the construction of new projects and support our ongoing projects with technical expertise.
The successful candidate will demonstrate technical knowledge & practical experience in the identification, development and/or management of hydro power projects (or comparable relevant experience) and has a passion for rural electrification.
Do you fit the bill? Then reach out to us with your application and motivation letter!
Minimum qualification: Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering or equivalent by experience
Position level: mid-level
Experience length: 5-10 years
- An entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment
- Flexibility and autonomy to organize your work while meeting deadlines and expectations
- Opportunity to grow along with the company and take up senior responsibilities
- Competitive salary package with extralegal benefits
The responsibilities of the Project Development Engineer will include:
• Take the lead in the identification and initial evaluation of potential hydro power (energy estimates, costs estimates) sites using GIS tools and by performing on-site measurements
Feasibility & design
• Perform power generation feasibility studies for hydro power generation projects, including topographic, geological, hydrological, hydraulic, civil design and electromechanical aspects (involving external experts where needed)
• Assess the economic feasibility of new projects through life cycle cost analysis & business case development
• Tendering: develop a tendering strategy, bill of quantities (BOQ) and requests for quotation (RFQ) for civil and electrical works.
• Develop a project planning coordinating in-house teams & external contractors
• Supervise sub-contractors during the execution of civil & electrical works
• Inspect wiring, distribution lines, switchgear and all electrical infrastructure to ensure adherence to national grid code
Operate & Maintain
• Assess the hydraulic, civil design and electromechanical performance of existing installations and propose options to increase efficiency
• Monitor performance of power generation and power
• Develop standard operating procedures for operating and maintaining hydro power installations
• Inspect hydraulic, hydroelectrical and electrical components to ensure adherence to best practices on maintenance and operation
Technical skills & experience
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in renewable energy project design, grid design and development, and/or rural electrification project development
• Knowledge and experience in energy systems, preferably involving small hydro power -grids
• Hands-on technical experience with electrical power generation, transmission and distribution systems up to 10 MW
• Project management: experience coordinating works and managing contractors and working with external parties
Attitude & soft skills
• High levels of maturity, professionalism and personal integrity
• Methodical and organized, autonomous & responsible, perfectionist
• Solution oriented: ability to identify a problem and develop adequate solutions proactively
• Team player: ability to lead and work with a diverse team
• Attitude: humble & hard-working, eagerness to learn
• Fluency in English & Swahili is a must
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, GIS tools and Autocad a requirement
• You can provide minimum 3 references from a previous employer.