Location: Nairobi, Kenya
We are a dynamic start-up in the renewable energy sector developing both on-grid and off-grid renewable energy projects.
Our mission is to provide reliable, affordable and sustainable access to energy in regions that do not have this today. We believe that electricity is the engine towards welfare and growth in rural Africa.
We use an innovative solution that relies on the most efficient, affordable and sustainable source of energy: hydropower. We harvest the power of running water and then transform it into electricity that is supplied to the national grid or
distributed directly to households and businesses.
We develop small hydro projects from A to Z meaning we identify suitable locations, assess the technical & economic feasibility, we then design, finance & build the power plants and remain involved in the maintenance & operations once the plant is operational.
What are we looking for:
As part of our continued growth in Kenya and the EAC region, we are looking for a Project Development Engineer to support us in the identification & assessment of new potential hydropower sites, as well as support our ongoing
projects with technical expertise.
The successful candidate will demonstrate technical knowledge & practicalexperience on power generation & distribution, as well as a commercial understanding of mini-grid operations, aims for perfection in his/her work and has a keen interest in rural electrification. Do you fit the bill? Then reach out to us
with your application and motivation letter!
Site identification: Take the lead in the identification and initial evaluation of potential hydropower (energy estimates, costs estimates) sites using GIS tools and by performing on-site measurements
Feasibility & design:
● Perform power generation feasibility studies for hydropower generation projects, including topographic, geological, hydrological, hydraulic, civil design and electromechanical aspects (involving external experts where needed)
● Perform transmission & distribution feasibility studies: new mini-grid design, existing mini-grid optimization, grid connection study (involving external experts where needed)
● Assess the economic feasibility of new projects through life cycle cost analysis & business case development
● Tendering : develop a tendering strategy, bill of quantities (BOQ) and requests for quotation (RFQ) for civil and electrical works.
● Develop a project planning coordinating in-house teams & external contractors
● Supervise sub-contractors during the execution of civil & electrical works
● Inspect wiring, distribution lines, switchgear and all electrical infrastructure to ensure adherence to national grid code
Operate & Maintain:
● Assess the hydraulic, civil design and electromechanical performance of existing installations and propose options to increase efficiency
● Monitor performance of power generation and power
● Develop standard operating procedures for operating and maintaining hydropower installations
● Inspect hydraulic, hydroelectrical and electrical components to ensure adherence to best practices on maintenance and operation
Requirements/Qualifications to Apply:
● Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
● Build long-term relationships with new and existing customers
● EPRA licensing (class A or B preferred) will be an added advantage
● Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in renewable energy project design, grid design and development, and/or rural electrification project development
● Knowledge and experience in energy systems, preferably involving small hydropower and mini-grids
● Hands-on technical experience with electrical power generation, transmission and distribution systems up to 10 MW
● Project management: experience coordinating works and managing contractors and working with external parties
● Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, GIS tools and Autocad a requirement
What We are Offering:
● An entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment
● Flexibility and autonomy to organize your work while meeting deadlines and expectations
● Opportunity to grow along with the company and take up senior responsibilities
● Competitive salary