The summary of the position
The Project Manager for Youth Employment Program shall serve as the technical specialist, an expert, and a resource person in youth employment and livelihood program of ACWICT
As a technical expert, he/she will perform the overall management of the project (staff and project planning and implementation) and provide technical support in enhancing youth employment models and making sure that desired outcomes of the project will be achieved. He/she will also build and represent the organization in external forums and a youth employment network that the project envisions to build.
A. Market Survey, Analysis and Tools Development
• Develop the framework and terms of reference for the market survey for youth employment and manage the process for identifying and hiring consultant/s for the short-term engagement and directly monitor the progress of the survey.
• Participate in the analysis and provide technical advice, insights and support in coming up with the most appropriate outcomes of the survey.
• Provide a summary and recommendations for the Youth Employment Model, incorporating soft skills, savings and micro-enterprise components in the design.
• Work closely with staff in the development of monitoring and documentation tools to capture the progress and outcomes of the project, as well as issue-based research tools (such as youth in hazardous working condition).
• Provide technical input and analysis to the project’s progress through required documentation.
• Lead in the development of an appropriate lifeskills/softskills training module.
B. Project Management
• Ensure the timely implementation of project activities; target outputs and outcomes being achieved.
• Provide operational supervision to staff in the implementation of project activity by leading in monthly planning with staff, ensuring resources are appropriately utilized.
• Provide technical advice and strategies to relevant staff in the efficient and effective implementation of project activities.
• Monitor the budget efficiently, ensuring that each line item in the budget is appropriately disbursed.
C. Capacity Building
• Build the knowledge and capacity of the staff through training, on the job mentoring/coaching and exposure to the youth employment model/program to enable them to efficiently plan their day-to-day work and provide appropriate support to the youth.
D. Monitoring & Reporting
• Conduct regular project monitoring visits to ensure that program standards are followed and maintained, and provide feedback and recommendations to the staff and local partners for improvements to project implementation.
• Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly, annual, as well as special reports to the Executive Director, ACWICT
E. Networking & Linkaging
• Lead in the establishment of Youth Employment Stakeholders’ Network group by convening meetings with government agencies, non-government agencies and private sector partners, and create a venue to discuss issues, coming up with appropriate measures to address the issue of youth in the workplace.
• Work with other staff, such as the Monitoring, Reporting Evaluation & Learning Manager, to ensure program alignment with life-stage programs and other program developments, to achieve quality program goals.
• Assist in development of proposals for new funding opportunities.
• Support other staff where required in developing reports and documentations.
• Participate in unit and staff meetings.
• Perform other tasks that may be assigned by The Executive Director and Team Leader.
Qualifications & Experience
The candidate must hold a University Degree or Higher Diploma in education, social sciences, or development sciences. A postgraduate degree (MA, MSc) in related field would be an advantage. Minimum 5 years progressive work experience in youth employment, livelihoods and enterprise development is required. Previous NGO experience in a similar position is required, as well as an understanding of Youth Employment
Key Competencies Required
• Proficiency in English language, both verbal & written.
• Ability to write reports in English to the donors and ACWICT
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to work and communicate with employees at all levels
• Analytical skills with the ability to communicate results in an effective manner
• Flexible and able to adapt to a multi-cultural environment and complex situations
• Willing to travel to the project sites in the Counties and within Kenya
• Team player, recognizing value and respect in others
• Self-guided, strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to work independently or in a group, as well as under pressure