Our client is a newly established mid-stream and downstream energy incorporated in Singapore, with interests in the provision of complex tanking services, inclusive of bulk storage handling for LPG, Petroleum and Diesel commodities in remote locations in Africa.
Their goal is to strengthen their position in East Africa through the provision of best possible quality service in the storage of LPG, Petroleum, and Diesel all geared towards to enhancing economic development.
Our client seeks to Develop 18 fuel storage tanks across the project locations: Berbera (Somaliland) and Diridhaba (Ethiopia).
Our client intends to develop a phased approach with overlapping timelines in the delivery of the project as follows:
Phase 1: Pre-liminary studies required for the project in Ethiopia and Somaliland.
a. Feasibility Studies.
b. Environmental and Impact assessment.
c. Site Analysis and Geotechnical Analysis.
Fuel Terminal Berbera (Somaliland) Location:
a. Design, Engineering & Construction of associated Marine facilities and jetty lines to the berth in Berbera.
b. Design, Engineering & Construction of the following above ground fuel storage tank Capacities as follows (5) Petroleum 15,000- 20,000m3, (2) Diesel 10,000-15,000 m3, (2) LPG 5,000-7,000 m3.
Fuel Terminal Diradhaba (Ethiopia) Location.
a. Design, Engineering & Construction with the following above ground fuel storage Tank with Capacities as follows (5) Petroleum 15,000- 20,000 m3, (2) Diesel 10,000-15,000 m3, (2) LPG 5,000-7,000 m3.
Summary of the Position
Under the guidance and direct supervision of our client Senior Management Team the Project Manager will be positioned in Nairobi, with frequent travels to the project locations, Ethiopia and Somaliland respectively.
He/She shall be responsible for the efficient and effective management of the entire fuel terminal development project. The incumbent will be required to lead, co-ordinate and manage fully all aspects of the project phases comprising of the Concept Phase, Planning Phase, Implementation Phase, Close out and Maintenance Phase while working closely with cross functional teams from our client management and select EPC contractor.
Detailed Roles and Responsibilities
• Representing our client interests during the planning and coordination of all project activities.
• Develop an effective communication and co-ordination management framework providing rules of engagement between all the project stakeholders, participants and other third parties. All-important communication shall be registered in written format and archived accordingly.
• Maintain update and manage codes and standards approved and applicable to the project and shall ensure compliance design entities.
• Review and sign off on the detailed designs for tank farms including all the facility accessories holding various fuel storage tanks for Petroleum, Diesel and LPG commodities.
• Create or check the “Design Basis” documents specific to the particular project.
• Review “as-built” drawings and re-run or check calculations, as required, to ensure conformity
• Preparation of tender documentation & establishing project-specific evaluation criteria including leading the evaluation process and selection process for all tender bids.
• Provide cost estimation for all project activities (Design, Engineering, and Installation). PM will also monitor the operational efficiency and financial position and projections of our client.
• Preparation of EPC contract, key deliverables, schedules, quality performance monitoring indicators.
• Preparation of all project implementation strategies including developing internal SOPS, for each phase of the project development, in line with the goals and objectives of the client.
• Ensure all the suppliers and sub-contractors provided by the EPC contractors are vetted and conform to the requirements of the project.
• Ensure that all works, material, and Equipment supplied by the EPC contractor are fit for purpose; by thoroughly reviewing of all instruments, equipment and material specifications submitted/provided.
• Review the EPC Contractor’s HSSE, Quality and Risk procedures. Check that the proposed procedures meet the requisite standards as determined by good engineering practice/standard.
• Supervise all EPC and subcontractors work ensuring efficiency in terms of adherence to project schedule, cost, and quality requirements.
• Lead all the change management process by providing our client with justifications when evaluating contract variation based on the changes in the project deliverable in terms of additional works to be performed or extensions of the project schedules, among others.
• Actively taking part in progress (Site) meetings with the EPC Contractor, and Coordinate and facilitate regular project progress meetings with our client Management on design coordination, procurement, project administration, and construction coordination.
• Responsible for resolving all technical and operational issues raised by the EPC contractors and subcontractors during all the phases of the project i.e. design phase, construction phase.
• Undertake quality assurance through the comprehensive audit of test and inspection records on site and recommend actions in the event that performance is not achieved.
• Weekly and Monthly reporting on the status and progress of the project activities to the Project Management Committee, our client Board and Management.
• Liaise with our client management, EPC contractor, and provide monthly reports to our client Board reporting on progress, activities, program, budget, costs, and variations.
• Prepare project completion reports and maintain detailed and accurate logs and records of its progress monitoring activities.
• Regularly carry out risk assessment during project execution and give comprehensive feedback to our client management on recommended actions to take.
• A bachelor of science degree in Chemical, Electro-Mechanical, or Civil Engineering from an accredited university with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in project management, contract administration and construction supervision experience in medium to large scale oil and gas utilities.
• Master’s degree in Infrastructure Management, Project Management and Project Planning is desirable.
• The incumbent must be able to provide certified engineering drawings for fuel terminal facility development.
• Must have Middle East and Africa (MEA) experience managing the design, engineering, and commissioning of fuel terminal facilities.
• Expert skills in Construction Project management and control; Quality management, quality control; Health and safety management; in the context of fuel terminal facilities.
• Must have adequate knowledge of international Development Banks Procurement Guidelines and Procedures such as African Development Bank.
• Familiarity with leading large infrastructure fuel terminal project implemented under PPP, or International Development banks i.e. African Development Bank frameworks/arrangements.
• A high degree of co-ordination, facilitation and consultation with engineers and technical managers and our client supply chain division will be pivotal to successful completion of projects.
• Compliance to the FIDIC standard form of contract engagement/management.
• Must be fully compliant with the following global international standards
- American Petroleum Institute (API).
- National Fire Protection Standards (NFPA).
- American Society of Mechanician Engineers (ASME)or British Standards.
- Front End Engineering and Design.
• Any other Globally accepted large scale international engineering standards.
• Proficient in MS Project
• International qualification like Professional Engineer, Chartered member of a relevant engineering institution or international equivalent is desired but not required.