Responsible to: Technical Lead-Education and Projects Implementation Lead
Responsible for: Project Administrator and M&E Assistant
Location, Group & Function: VSO Kenya Office with 75% travel to project site
Job Purpose: The purpose of the post is to provide leadership and management in the implementation of Right to Education and Life for Children with Disabilities project (RELi) and contribute in realization of IE programme’s team objectives; Providing staff and volunteers’ duty of care, strengthening partnerships and programme networks, effective delivery of IE thematic area and improved documentation of proven practices and knowledge sharing
Project Coordination and Quality Assurance
• Coordination of all project activities, monitoring and evaluation, project reporting, and dissemination of reports as appropriate
• Lead in documentation and dissemination of change stories and knowledge products deduced from project implementation and learning
• Ensure proper budgeting, timely budget tracking and check compliance to financial management policies and donor requirements through out project period
• Timely presentation of monthly projections/forecast including procurement plan for planned activities
• Support administrative work of the project by providing logistical support to planning, training and review of workshops, conferences; and ensure invitations, follow-up, liaisons with relevant partners, volunteers, VSO Kenya staff and resource personnel are done
Partnership and Network Building
• Establish and strengthen partnerships relevant to realization of project/programme objectives
• Lead in identifying, assessing and building capacity of local implementing partners in target areas
• Engage in lobbying and advocacy with relevant Civil Society Organisations at micro, meso and macro level in influencing development and implementation of government policies necessary in enhancing access to quality and inclusive basic education
• Work cooperatively as a member of the Inclusive Education programme and support in overall Education programme design, implementation and documentation of change and knowledge products
Duty of Care and Safeguarding
• Provide duty of care for all staff and volunteers in the project in collaboration with VSOK leadership team
• Manage the projects safeguarding caseloads with support from the Head of People and Operations
• Support regular updates to partners and volunteers’ enquiries relating to the administrative matters of the Project.
Any other duties as may be required from time to time by the line manager
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Essential criteria (must have to be able to carry out the role successfully)
• Bachelor of Education degree with specialisation in Special Needs or inclusive education
• Post graduate qualification in development, project management or related area would be an advantage.
• At least 3 years relevant experience including formulation, implementation and review of development strategies and effective project management
• Evidence of having managed and implemented similar or related project successfully
• Experience in developing and implementing advocacy and campaign strategies
• Experience working with children and youth with disabilities, and their families in education or livelihood initiatives or successful work with persons with disabilities.
• Knowledge on disability rights and inclusion practices
• Ability to work effectively as a team member and with minimal supervision
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Evidence of effective problem solving and organisational skills
• Evidence of professionalism and high integrity
• Evidence of openness to learning to improve own performance
• Communicating & influencing: Proactively builds relationships and generates effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas.
• Managing knowledge: Proactively seeks out new knowledge sources (people and data); uses and shares knowledge effectively.
• Working together: Proactively enables and encourages teamwork in others
• Striving for excellence: Leads initiatives to improve monitoring, evaluation and learning; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
• Managing resources: Organises own and others’ work to meet objectives; clarifies accountability of roles; allocates budget wisely; seeks ways to generate and save money –
• Managing people: Builds an effective team with clear objectives; allocates work appropriately; deals with poor performance and recognises success.
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we are protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy