REPORTS TO: Managing Director
SUPERVISES: English Editor/s, Proof readers and other contracted consultants.
1. Purpose of the Position:
• To conceptualise and oversee all editorial aspects of Storymoja’s English language offerings for upper primary and secondary school students. Help Storymoja realise its vision of getting a book in every hand by leading a profitable English publishing unit that produces world class publications for local and international markets, partners, schools and events.
2. Key responsibilities:
• Lead the conceptualisation and successful implementation of annual strategic plans. Work with various stakeholders to develop ideas/concepts for new publication projects.
• Conduct research and regularly seek customer feedback to feed into the product development strategy.
• Interview and recommend subcontractors for prequalification and help generate/update rate cards.
• To ensure manuscripts are well edited and prepared for publication, effectively manage editor(s) and subcontractors. Capture key performance indicators in written contracts including:
o Clear, well-researched customer centric briefs to which deliverables must adhere
o Originality, scope, level and length of the project.
o Agreed processes (and examples where applicable), timelines and budgets
o Substantive editing as per the agreed guidelines.
o Completeness and organisation of content of the project/s
o Consistency and clarity, style, readability and appropriateness of language (no use of profane words).
o Design briefs to which deliverables must adhere.
o E content briefs to which deliverables must adhere
o Legality (i.e., perform rigorous plagiarism checks to ensure the text will not result in legal suits).
o Fact checking, accuracy and quality control of the project at all stages.
o Copy-editing and proofreading to minimise/eliminate errors before printing
o Continuous review and revision of books after printing.
o Book brand sheets, reviews and ratings – ensure templates are shared and filled.
o Adherence to set publishing systems and processes outlined in the manual
• Based on project briefs agreed in the annual publishing strategy, prepare quarterly/annual departmental work plans and budgets for approval by the immediate supervisor.
• Solicit high quality customer centric manuscripts.
o Lead the author boarding process while maintaining a balance between established and upcoming authors.
o Proactively share all the approved publishing-related systems and processes and enforce them within the department.
o Professionally implement existing projects
o Manage the training of writers for various projects (as required).
• Be the key liaison with authors writing for authors writing in English (Grade 5 and above)
• Seek and identify new material for co-publication and liaise with relevant contacts and negotiate rights for local and foreign editions, updates and co-editions and translation rights.
• Familiarise yourself with the CBC curriculum designs for upper primary and secondary (when they become available) with a view to obtaining KICD approval on most publications.
• Ensure proper record keeping of critical publishing departments items i.e. publications, database of stakeholders e.g. writers, illustrators, teachers, competitors and industry players.
• Liaise with other departments to initiate and promote English book launches, writing workshops and other related events.
• Monitor competitor activities and publications as well as other interesting projects or offerings and report in the monthly management meeting.
• Actively engage with various industry stakeholders and keep abreast of developments in the greater reading, books and publishing sector locally and internationally.
• Represent Storymoja at KPA and other selected industry associations and initiatives.
• Run weekly departmental traffic meetings and represent the department at monthly management meetings.
• Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned to you by your supervisor and are related to the achievement of Storymoja’s mission and vision.
3. 2021Key objectives
• Provide leadership to English editorial team to deliver 2021 publication targets and approvals.
• Creatively respond to the quality control audit with a view to improve the overall quality of content to make the books more competitive in the market.
• Build and maintain a highly motivated and productive team.
4. Limits of authority
1. Approve all departmental expenditures as per approved budgets. You can also sign off over expenditures of up to Kshs 10,000 as you long as you notify your supervisor asap and ensure paperwork is properly lodged.
• Sign off all English books plus other materials published in English for both internal and/or external use.
• Contract external consultants ensuring agreed protocols are followed.
• Approve the final artwork and printer proofs for English books and other materials.
• Approve all internal requests for English artworks e.g. book covers for the e-store and social media marketing.
• Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, publishing, English or a related field.
• At least 5 years of publishing experience in a senior role.
• Excellent communication and comprehension skills, both written and oral, including professional and tactful demeanour in dealing with authors and editors.
• Experience in copyediting and proofreading (thorough knowledge of English grammar and technical, scientific, and set books writing styles).
• Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to handle multiple projects, determines priorities, and meets deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills and both team-oriented and independent work abilities.
• Flexible approach to project work and a creative problem solving orientation.
• Excellent analytical, editorial skills, logical, and organizational skills i.e. knowledge and experience of managing multiple components in a Publishing environment
• Knowledge and experience in rest of Africa Educational systems is desirable.
Apply via "Apply Now Button".
By sending in:
1. A cover letter
2. A CV with 3 referees
3. Current and expected salary and benefits