Opening Date: 11thNovemebr, 2020 Closing Date: 30th November, 2020 Background Information:
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), in collaboration with the University of California, San Francisco through an NIH funded grant is setting up a new Study, SEARCH-SAPPHIRE trial, aimed at piloting HIV treatment and prevention interventions with the goal of further reducing HIV incidence following the successes recorded in the SEARCH trial. The study will be conducted in Homabay and Migori counties and has the following vacancies to be filled.
15. Position: Qualitative Research Assistant (1 Positions) KMR/6 Vacancy No. FN-016-11-2020
Reports to: Qualitative Coordinator
Duration: 7 Months
• Diploma/Degree in the Social Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, Agriculture, Nutrition or Public Health.
• Prior work experience conducting qualitative interviews strongly preferred
• Competent with computer software applications including Microsoft Office programs (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based applications (Skype); experience with qualitative data management software (Atlas Ti, NVivo, other) an added advantage.
• Ensures smooth progression of data collection, data management, coding and data analysis, and write-up of results.
• Serves as the qualitative interviewer and focus group facilitator for the study,
• Carries out participant observation exercises
• Responsible for ensuring informed consent procedures and other ethical standards for the study are followed.
• Participates in coding transcripts using Atlas.ti software, and participates in data analysis and report writing.
Other required skills:
• Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to maintain frequent contact using cell phone, email, and internet-based phone (i.e. Skype).
• Ability to monitor, gather and evaluate information of broad scope and complexity
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in English, Kiswahili, and Dholuo.
• Interest in working in an innovative and demanding environment, with extensive travel within rural study sites in Homabay and Migori counties
• High level financial and data integrity
• Enthusiasm for rural health and/or development work.
• Ability to multitask, problem solve, and work with others to resolve challenges.
• Strong communication, training, leadership skills.
• Strong writing skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated competence with managing administrative records.
Applications should include the following:
• A cover letter stating current position and date available to start working for the program
• A current CV including email and mobile phone contact
• Name and phone number for two professional referees
• Two letters of recommendation
• A copy of the latest pay slip (if applicable)
• Copies of academic and professional certificates
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send in their applications through email; email@example.com
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS SELECTION PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER. IF ASKED FOR A FEE, REPORT SUCH REQUEST IMMEDIATELY.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.