Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 7 countries: Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,600 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of position
The Regional Advocacy and Communication Specialist will lead the Advocacy and Communications Unit to expand Action Against Hunger’s advocacy, partnerships and communication reach across national government and targeted regional decision-makers and position the organization as a leading voice on nutrition security. He/she will lead the integration of advocacy and communication efforts throughout organizational initiatives and programmes in accordance with the strategic plan. S/he will lead the development of evidence-based policy positions in close coordination with technical experts, coordinate policy and advocacy activities, and represent Action Against Hunger in regional and national networks and forums.
Formulate Action Against Hunger Regional Advocacy Strategy for Horn and East Africa, i strengthen the integration of advocacy and communications into programmes and build the capacity of staff to engage in advocacy communications at National, Regional and Global levels.
Engage with Local and Regional networks to collectively influence nutrition security policies and practices; Track Organizational engagement efforts and advise Management on opportunities to engage stakeholders and promote research and learning to influence policies.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE
- Develop, implement, monitor, and evaluate Action Against Hunger East Africa regional advocacy, and partnership strategy and activities with the support of the technical team.
- Coordinate Action Against Hunger participation in advocacy working groups, networks and alliances, and external engagement with policy makers at regional level.
- Working in close collaboration with Action Against Hunger network advocacy colleagues, ensure complementarity and coherence of messages across National, Regional, and Global levels
- Lead on the development and implementation of Action Against Hunger regional communications strategy in collaboration with the New York Communications team.
- Produce high-quality content to support positive advocacy and communication of Action Against Hunger’s programs and advocacy activities in region.
- Support generation of high-quality communication and advocacy materials, especially stories, case studies, quotes, photographs, short videos, in partnership with the New York Communications team.
- Engage local and national media and journalists to support positive communication of Action Against Hunger’s programs and advocacy activities in region and countries.
- Manage regional advocacy grants, ensure activities are carried out and reported on in line with donor requirements.
- Lead the development of successful advocacy funding proposals, preparing narratives, log frames, and budgets in line with donor requirements, either as stand-alone proposals or integrated in larger regional grants.
- Provide technical assistance and training to Action Against Hunger country offices in order to enhance national advocacy capacity, ensuring complementarity between international, regional and national advocacy and coherence of messages across the Action Against Hunger international network.
- As part of the Senior Management Team of Regional Office, support management to articulate priority advocacy and communications objectives and integrate advocacy into all programs, strategies and initiatives.
Gender Equality commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- Action Against Hunger holds strict Safeguarding principles and has zero-tolerance for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasize to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes.
DO YOU MEET THE PROFILE REQUIRED CRITERIA ?
You’re an experienced humanitarian professional
- You have a Masters’ degree in development studies, international relations/ affairs, social sciences, politics, or similar field.
- You have at least 10 years’ work experience in an Advocacy role or a role that involves Advocacy for an NGO.
- You have 2 years working experience in research and policy analysis, data collection, analysis and interpretation (both qualitative and quantitative data), writing and production of reports, policy briefs and publications .
- You have good knowledge of the humanitarian system, Food and Nutrition sectors and policies in emergency and post-emergency contexts.
- You have excellent knowledge of advocacy cycle and advocacy tools.
- You have strong and demonstrated expertise in humanitarian Advocacy and/or representation and influence of aid policies at a high level.
- You’re comfortable coaching & developing the skills of your direct reports, adapting your leadership to professionals who may, or may not, be familiar working in humanitarian action.
- Your knowledge of the donor community ensures projects respond to the most pressing humanitarian needs & that activities remain compliant with grant requirements.
- You have proven interpersonal and networking skills, are open minded and flexible, with strong negotiation skills.
- You are able to analyze changes in your context & discuss the implications with senior operational staff. You are comfortable communicating HQ decisions to your team & local partners.
- You intuitively adapt how you communicate context analysis, strategy, policies & procedures to suit different audiences - both verbally & in writing.
- You are diplomatic but tenacious. You recognize that advocating for change & innovative programming requires building strong relationships with donors, local authorities & other partners, while retaining the space to speak confidently about Action Against Hunger’s programs & our knowledge of the humanitarian needs.
- Previous experience working at a distance with partners or other team members (HQ or regional job, in-country coordination with several field locations & seldom field visits).
- Experience using M&E information for advocacy, campaign and dialogues with partners and governments.
- You have a genuine interest in & commitment to the principles of Action Against Hunger.
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.