Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
About the Position
CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Regional Director, East Africa (Field) who will be an integral part of the CIVIC program team reporting to the Director, Africa and works closely with other staff members at HQ.
Job Purpose: The RD has overall responsibility for supervising the start-up and implementation of CIVIC East Africa programs and management of the office and staff, to achieve CIVIC’s mission to protect civilians.
Location: East Africa, with a primary office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic and international)
Staff Reporting: Yes, a number of direct reports with overall oversight of team
Program Management and Team Leadership
- Provide strategic vision and direction for establishing new programming and in-country operations, responding to new opportunities and adapting to obstacles to advance CIVIC’s mission of strengthening the protection of civilians and building out CIVIC’s opportunities in the region.
- Recruit, hire, and manage personnel for East Africa program in compliance with CIVIC policies and procedures. Mentor and build staff capacity including supporting their induction, performance evaluation, and professional development.
- Represent CIVIC in formal and informal meetings with government and security officials, international organizations, donors, and national civil society groups pertinent to CIVIC’s objectives and in-country activities
- Lead all aspects of program management to ensure that CIVIC delivers on time, on budget, and at the level of quality that for which CIVIC is known. This includes overseeing the development and regular updates of the workplan and activity plans; the creation and utilization of the MEL plan and system; execution of in-country activities and fulfillment of grant deliverables; internal and donor reporting; financial planning and budget management; human resource planning and management; and grant compliance.
- In conjunction with CIVIC’s HQ, lead design of new programs and contribute to the development of proposals to generate funding to sustain CIVIC’s work, in collaboration with national, regional, and headquarters staff.
- Provide technical input to the government, security forces, international donor agencies and civil society groups pertinent to CIVIC project activities.
- Maintain close communications with CIVIC headquarters, regional and national staff, funders, and other local and international actors.
Technical and Thought Leadership
- Provide technical input to the government, security forces, international donor agencies, and civil society groups to advance the protection of civilians.
- Cultivate and maintain high-level contacts with civilian government as well as security services to advance the protection of civilians.
- Oversee research design and execution, as well as the production of high-quality analytical products, including research reports, and support their dissemination to stakeholders.
- Develop, update, and oversee advocacy and influence strategies to promote institutional and policy change on the protection of civilians.
- Foster partnerships and coalitions to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building local capacity.
- Ensure the quality and effectiveness of CIVIC’s programming, especially in regards to technical assistance and training on civilian harm mitigation for security forces.
- Develop and oversee CIVIC’s community-based protection efforts, paying close attention to Do No Harm and conflict sensitivity principles.
Financial and Administrative
- Provide oversight to finance and administrative services including procurement, property management, human resources management, vehicle and facilities management, and staff safety and security.
- Oversee the creation of, and manage, processes and systems to ensure staff safety and security in high risk environments.
- Work with CIVIC headquarters to manage the development and implementation of annual country budgets.
- Ensure the preparation and accuracy of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements and ensure compliance with all aspects of donor funding and CIVIC policies.
- Ensure timely submission of financial reports within the established CIVIC guidelines.
- Authorize expenditures for grant or contract allocations and ensure compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements.
- Minimum 15 years (or a Master Degree and 12 years) of field experience in protection of civilians, international security, conflict prevention/mitigation, peacebuilding, advocacy, and/or other related programs. Equal experience in program development and implementation, especially for an international NGO required. Experience standing-up a new program and establishing a local presence is highly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience managing compliance for a diverse set of international governmental donors (EU, UK, etc.).
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a senior member of our team.
- Past operational experience with armies, air force, or navies, or internal security forces, particularly in the East African region, strongly preferred.
- Proven knowledge on best practices and lessons learned on protection of civilians in armed conflict.
- Past experience overseeing teams conducting research on complex topics which include data collection from vulnerable or conflict-affected populations required.
- Substantial program management experience overseeing program implementation, creating and adhering to MEL plans, producing donor/client reports, and ensuring compliance and delivery on all aspects of grants or contracts strongly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the development of budgets and monitor financial status.
- Regional knowledge and experience working in the East Africa required, including one and preferably more of the following list: Kenya, Uganda, Somalia.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy with senior government civilian and military representatives.
- Experience advocating with security forces and governments for new policies or approaches to sensitive and complex issues, like protection, humanitarian access, or human rights
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to effectively lead a team, communicate a vision, make timely and transparent decisions, and manage conflict.
- Ability to design and implement workshops, seminars, surveys, monitoring systems and evaluations. Experience in research design, data analysis and interpretation.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communications; fluency in Swahili and other regional languages desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills that effectively motivate staff and support team building; demonstrated ability to manage a professional team in a multi-cultural environment
- Well established and practiced organizational and planning skills;
- Computer literacy, including use of common platforms such as Microsoft Office, Slack, Zoom and Google G-Suite.
- Experience with staff security and safety issues is desirable.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the East Africa region, and periodically further abroad as needed.
- Availability for a period of 3 years (renewable pending funding).
- A sense of humor and a passion for people and leadership.
Please note that this position in contingent upon anticipated donor funding.
Kenyan nationals and expatriate international applicants are equally encouraged to apply.
Females are encouraged to apply.
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.