**Please note that this can be a home-based opportunity.
CONSULTANCY – Renewable Energy Specialist Greening & Sustainability – DFAM/GMIS **
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a consultancy full-time position within the Greening & Sustainability Project in our Global Mobility and Infrastructure (GMIS) Section.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Renewable Energy Specialist
- Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya or Home based
- Duration: 6 months
- Contract Type: Consultancy contract
- Closing date: 30 December 2020
- Start date: 17 January 2021
In 2007, the UN Climate Neutral Strategy was developed, and organizations committed to move their respective organizations to climate neutrality. Since then, UNHCR has continuously improved its efforts in promoting the careful use of energy resources by refugees, host communities, partner organizations and as a priority by UNHCR itself. In 2019, UNHCR developed its Global Strategy for Sustainable Energy 2019-2024 which aims to enable persons of concern to UNHCR to meet their energy needs in a safe and sustainable manner. It also launched the Clean Energy Challenge and is currently working on a first comprehensive Strategic Framework on Climate Action.
In 2020, UNHCR developed a new internal Greening & Sustainability
strategy in order to improve its environmental performance, climate
compatibility and resource efficiency. The UNHCR Greening &
Sustainability strategy focuses on three main areas: Green Box: measure
global energy consumption of UNHCR offices in order to migrate from
fossil fuels to renewable energy. Procure and install electricity meters
in all UNHCR offices; create centrally managed dashboard with real-time
data; carry out energy audits of all UNHCR offices; and prepare
business cases for each UNHCR office to identify alternative energy
Green Fund: Develop innovative financing model to migrate UNHCR offices from fossil fuels to renewable energy Establish internal UNHCR Green Revolving Fund to convert UNHCR Operations from diesel to renewable energy; use the Fund to procure from private sector independent power producers through Power Purchase Agreements; aim to achieve positive carbon impact and positive financial impact to budget (cost effective).
Green Data: Implement dynamic technology platform for real-time monitoring and data visualization Establish systems and policies for real-time, high quality data collection of GHG emissions, energy, waste and water across UNHCR; create data warehouse and dashboards for easy monitoring, reporting and decision-making.
The Renewable Energy Specialist will provide support to the Greening & Sustainability Team which is part of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS) within the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). DFAM contributes to safeguarding the financial resources entrusted to UNHCR by maintaining and improving the financial and administrative systems, policies and procedures and promoting cost-effective and transparent use of these resources. GMIS is a new service within DFAM which merges four functions: global fleet management, global travel, global facilities management and global asset management. Greening & Sustainability is one of GMIS main cross-functional areas
The Renewable Energy Specialist will focus mainly on supporting the Greening & Sustainability Team in the Green Box project by supporting the conduction of energy audits and development of energy-related business cases of UNHCR offices.
Duties and responsibilities
• Provide project management support in designing, organizing and supporting operations in carrying out energy audits of UNHCR offices;
• Analyze results for each office and support offices in finding office-specific solutions for improving energy consumption;
• Coordinate with development and private sector actors to identify sustainable and renewable energy sources to reduce GHG emissions and enhance office energy security;
• Create a business case template and support in assisting operations in preparing business cases and clear project plan with milestones for either group of offices or on a case by case basis, for minimizing UNHCR environmental impact;
• Coordinate and support UNHCR offices in efficient data collection and continuously improve data collection processes and documents to incorporate experience gained to order to further improve data collection, reduce transaction costs and minimize assessment inconsistencies;
• Provide technical support to the Greening & Sustainability Team and help facilitate discussion with UNHCR colleagues and partners in developing project proposals and implementation arrangements to address environmental needs within the framework of UNHCR policies, procedures and guidelines;
• Ensure compliance of UNHCR policy guidelines and Greening & Sustainability strategy as well as with UN-wide methodologies and Greening the Blue targets;
• Liaise internally with Senior Innovative Financing counterparts and GMIS Senior Finance Officer to develop innovative financing approaches relating to identified innovative financing solutions;
• Perform other related duties as required.
Documentation of energy audits conducted of UNHCR offices; draft structure of business case template proposal that can be used for each office; full business cases for defined offices
Delivery Periodicity, as applicable:
each working month short summary of work done to be together submitted with invoice, actions required from co-workers and information on the work steps to follow, as well as pending items that need resolution
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• Academic qualifications: Advance university degree in engineering, electrical engineering, sustainable development studies, economics, business administration, environmental management, energy technology, or relevant fields.
• Experience: A minimum of six years relevant professional experience in a private sector energy provider, management consulting or auditor/consulting firm; investment firm or social enterprise with energy/infrastructure focus; or UN/humanitarian/development agency working directly on operationalizing renewable energy transitions.
o Familiarity with and professional experience directly related to energy and infrastructure topics or renewable energy systems design, implementation, and monitoring.
o Experience working in humanitarian or global development settings, and/or for the UN or other humanitarian/development agencies preferred.
o Proven data collection, analysis and communication skills.
• Language: Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and home-based until the Covid situation allows for travel
The consultancy is for six months and the expected start date is 17 January 2021. It is a fulltime role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Supervisor of the Individual Consultant: project Coordinator Greenbox, Greening & Sustainability Team, GMIS, DFAM
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
To learn more and to apply, visit https://bit.ly/34deKDA
Closing date: 30 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).