Requirements in a nutshell
Education: Master’s degree in Economics, Econometrics, Development Research, Nutrition, Public Health or related sectors
Experience: 2+ years of experience on development, monitoring & learning or impact evaluations. Experience in Agriculture, Gender or Nutrition projects strongly preferred
Must-have: Quantitative data analysis skills in Stata
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. We provide three types of services to clients:
• Data: comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions;
• Research: from the design of large-scale research projects through to analysis; an
• Advisory: strategic and technical research advice.
Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda. Our teams bring together more than 55 full time local and international staff, as well as 1,000 enumerators across countries, in a dynamic work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization.
You can find out more about Laterite on our website at: www.laterite.com
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with travel to field locations.
The Research Analyst will support the lead Embedded Research Advisor on a large multi-partner program working on integrating nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated approaches into agriculture interventions across Africa.
Our new colleague will work with clients in East and West Africa, drafting and reviewing Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (ME&L) materials, with the goal to support the clients’ monitoring systems. The day-to-day work will focus on nutrition-sensitive and gender-sensitive agriculture projects. Previous experience working on gender, nutrition, or agriculture projects, as well as with MEL, are a plus.
Support Laterite’s Embedded Research Advisories. You will work with the lead Embedded Research Advisor to build the trust of the partner organizations and support them to achieve their objectives through your contribution to ME&L activities. You will champion an open and inquisitive culture where communication is clear and productive.
Deliver timely and high-quality research. You will be involved in a wide variety of research activities to build a rigorous body of evidence from literature reviews, quasi-experimental studies to experimental impact evaluations. You will contribute to all steps of such studies, including research design, sampling strategy, instrument development and testing, data collection quality assurance, data cleaning, technical analysis, and generating final client deliverables.
Project Management & Coordination responsibilities
• Develop and manage tasks and timelines and report to Embedded Research Advisor on progress, issues, and potential causes of delay;
• Convene internal team meetings with Laterite and relevant stakeholders to review and coordinate the implementation of ME&L activities;
• Provide administrative support, as needed, to the management team – including financial, budgetary, HR and related tasks;
• Synthesize information from existing evidence, secondary data and government policies;
• Provide technical support to strengthen client’s internal M&E systems and capabilities;
• Contribute to all steps of monitoring and evaluation activities, from research design to final analysis and write-ups of quantitative and qualitative research;
• Document tools, processes and best practices to facilitate the accumulation and dissemination of ME&L knowledge; and,
• Draft reports and project deliverables to communicate findings. Contribute to writing policy briefs, reports, blog posts, and academic articles
Our future colleague has:
• A postgraduate degree (Masters or above) in Economics, Econometrics, Development Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors;
• At least 2 years of experience on development, ME&L or impact evaluations. Experience in Agriculture, Gender or Nutrition projects is strongly preferred;
• Outstanding technical and analytical skills: proficiency in STATA, R and/or Python is a must;
Additionally, we welcome:
• Motivation to work in social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa;
• Experience working with at least one ODK-based platform (such as SurveyCTO, ODK, CommCare)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; Working knowledge of Swahili and/or French is a strong plus;
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, self-motivation and drive to flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can often be unpredictable.
• An eye for detail and the ability to thrive by taking ownership and initiative.
• Experience living and working in low-income countries.
Candidates from East African countries are especially welcome to apply.
Please upload your CV and your cover letter via our online application form: https://form.jotform.com/210331211289545 or click the "Apply Now Button". After submitting your application, you will be invited to complete a 30-minute quantitative assessment for which no special preparation is needed. Successful candidates will be contacted with information regarding the next steps.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply ASAP.