Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI) is a State Corporation established in 1986 with obligation to undertake forest research, generate and promote improved technologies for sustainable management, conservation and development of forest and allied natural resources.
JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND PERSON SPECIFICATIONS FOR VACANT POSTS
5. RESEARCH SCIENTIST (CLIMATE CHANGE- BIOPHYSICAL) : KEFRI 7b
a) Duties and Responsibilities
• Undertake research problem identification with stakeholders in climate change;
• Develop multi-disciplinary research projects in climate change;
• Prioritizing research problems for implementation in different eco-regions;
• Participating in developing research concepts for donor support;
• Participating in identifying relevant literature material;
• Participating in identifying suitable sites for establishing experiment;
• Participating in designing experimental trials;
• Collecting of data in trials;
• Undertake data analysis and preparation of reports;
• Participating in writing appropriate technical reports including research notes, technical notes, conference posters, dissemination flyers;
• Supervising the implementation of dissemination activities that include Open days, field days, ASK shows, Radio and TV Talks;
• Disseminating research findings in local and international fora that include seminar, workshops, congress;
• Proposal writing to seek for funding from within and outside the Institute;
• Supervise and mentor junior staff, interns, students on attachment and visitors including High School, Colleges;
• Participating in implementing relevant ISO standards in Research and Development;
• Participating in compiling of departmental quarterly and annual reports
• Preparing and signing performance contracts with their supervisor; and
• Any other duty as assigned from time to time.
b) Requirements for Appointment
i) Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) minimum aggregate ‘C+’ (C plus) or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
ii) At least an Upper Second Honors in Bachelor of Science Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science, or its equivalent from a recognized Institution;
iii) Master’s Degree in Climate Change or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
iv) Should have published at least two (2) Journal papers in the relevant journal;
v) Strong planning and time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet strict deadlines;
vi) Strong verbal and written communication skills, including excellent presentation skills with the ability to engage audiences locally, regionally and globally;
vii) Working experience in the same field is an added advantage;
viii) Being a member of a professional body will be an added advantage; and
ix) Certificate in Computer Applications from a recognized institution.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.