WATU is a focus-driven, customer-centric company that believes everyone deserves the opportunity to be an entrepreneur and achieve their ambitious goals in life.
As Africa’s fastest growing Asset Finance company, we see the continent’s bright and prosperous future and want to be part of making it a reality.
Our vision is to provide asset financing for motorcycles and three-wheelers to those who understand when provided with the right tools can fulfil their dreams and the needs of their families and community.
We Empower Entrepreneurs by providing the means needed to move and improve lives.
Our business is growing rapidly, and with more than100,000 customers in Kenya, we are looking for an enthusiastic and customer obsessed Risk & Compliance Officer to join our growing team of driven professionals. We are looking for doers who are ready to roll up their sleeves and with their hard work and dedication create the impact needed in our communities.
Do you want to become a part of our ambitious and creative team of smart individuals and make a difference and you have what it takes? Then read on and apply for this exciting opportunity!
As a Risk & Compliance Officer you will report to the Head of Internal Audit & Risk and will coordinate across all business lines to assist in the identification, monitoring, and reporting of risks taken throughout the organization. You will also ensure that business transactions follow all relevant legal and internal rules while meeting business goals. You will be responsible for developing compliance programs, reviewing company policies, and advising management on possible risks.
A successful Risk & Compliance Officer is expected to adapt to the fast-paced culture of both the company, the market, and the customers we serve.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Perform periodic risk assessments: Analyzing current risks and identifying potential risks that are affecting the company.
- Perform periodic risk evaluation: Evaluating the company’s previous handling of risks and comparing potential risks with criteria set out by the company.
- Horizon scan to increase awareness of risks affecting the business.
- Assess and evaluate third party risk.
- Coordinate the development of business continuity plans, Disaster recovery plans and Crisis management plans.
- Review any new major contracts or internal business proposals
- Build risk awareness amongst staff by providing support and training within the company
- Consult with relevant units to determine, quantify, and mitigate risks involved in establishing and maintaining various client and industry relationships.
- Proactively seek and recommend enhancements to processes and development.
- Implement and manage an effective compliance checklist/calendar.
- Recommend sound internal controls and monitor adherence to them.
- Advise management on the company’s compliance with laws and regulations through detailed reports.
- Create and manage effective action plans in response to audit discoveries and compliance violations.
- Regularly audit company procedures, practices, and documents to identify possible weaknesses or risks.
- Assess company operations to determine compliance risk.
- Set plans to manage crises or compliance violations.
- Conduct policy and compliance audits, which will include liaising with internal and external auditors.
- Ensure all employees are educated on the latest regulations, industry practices and processes.
- Resolve employee concerns about legal compliance.
- Keep abreast of internal standards and business goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Actuarial Science, Law, Finance, or other related discipline.
- 3 years’ experience in a risk management, compliance, or a related field.
- Professional certification in risk management or compliance will be an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- An eye for detail, Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Commercial awareness/ Ability to understand broader business issues.
- Project management skills, planning and organizational skills.
- Teamwork and Interpersonal skills.
- Good knowledge of legal requirements and procedures (e.g., Anti-Money Laundering (AML)).
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Highly analytical skills with strong attention to detail.
- Familiarity with industry practices and professional standards.
- Integrity and professional ethics.
- Business acumen.
What we offer:
- Be a part of an international, dynamic and driven team that has set their aspirations high and work hard to achieve those.
- Opportunities to learn and grow together with us.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Health benefits.
Do you see yourself being part of the WATU team? Then please apply with your CV and a cover letter, we are looking forward to working with you!