The accountant will report to the Managing Director/ Director of Operations.
The qualified candidate shall be required to ensure that the organization gets value for its money by portraying exemplary performance and will be responsible for daily bookkeeping, accounts payable and receivables, payroll, end-of-month closures, grant reporting, audit preparation, and other related duties as assigned. The qualified candidate shall work closely with and report to the organizations Managing Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES.
• Supervising the documenting of financial transactions by ensuring that the requisite accounting information is entered;
• Preparing asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analysing financial information;
• Recommending to the Managing Director financial actions by analysing accounting options;
• Summarizing the company and its subsidiaries’ current financial status by collecting information and preparing requisite financial reports such as statements of assets and liabilities and statements of profit and loss;
• Substantiating financial transactions by auditing documents;
• Maintaining accounting controls by preparing and recommending internal accounting policies and procedures;
• Reconciling financial discrepancies by collecting and analysing relevant account information;
• Securing financial information by completing database backups;
• Maintaining the company and its subsidiaries’ financial security by following internal controls;
• Supervising and counterchecking those payments prepared are aligned to supporting documentation, and corresponding disbursements;
• Answering internal and external accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting best practices in accounting policy and regulations;
• Ensuring the organization’s compliance with national and county financial legal requirements by remaining informed on existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising the Managing Director on necessary actions;
• Preparing special financial reports by collecting, analysing, and summarizing account information and trends;
• Overseeing the operation of office accounts, planning and monitoring of expenditure and liaising with vendors to obtain best pricing for good quality at all times;
• Efficient coordination of how staff use the organization’s assets and resources;
• Creating and managing an efficient stock management plan for the company’s products; and,
• Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
ADDITIONAL SKILL BEHAVIORS TRAITS.
• Flexible and ready to work in other roles when called upon;
• Good communication, presentation, and prospecting skills;
• Organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to manage tight deadlines;
• Able to practice confidentiality;
• Methodological approach to problem-solving; and,
• Must be disciplined and capable of taking instruction.
• Worked in busy retail places i.e., supermarkets, hardware’s, restaurants.
• Experience in procurement and inventory management.
• A BSc/BA in Accounting, Finance or in a relevant field;
• A minimum of CPA K or its equivalent;
• Proven work experience heading a Finance or Accounts department in a busy medium sized firms (SME’s) i.e., supermarkets, hardware’s, restaurants with a minimum year of 6 to 8 years’ experience. Reason for this is due to the frequent reconciliation that is done in such organizations;
• In-depth understanding of cash flow management, bank reconciliation and bookkeeping;
• Hands-on experience with budgeting and risk management;
• Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting models;
• Advanced grasp of Kenya Tax Laws and procedures;
• Proficiency in accounting software such as QuickBooks, Sage;
• Leadership abilities;
• An MSc/MBA in a relevant field is an added advantage;
• Salary range of a gross of between Ksh 80,000 and Ksh 90,000.