UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO LOCAL RECRUITMENT AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL ALLOWANCES OR BENEFITS. FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 02 OCTOBER 2021
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 03 SEPTEMBER 2021
FUNCTIONAL TITLE : SENIOR AIR OPERATIONS ASSISTANT
LEVEL : GL - 7
SECTION : AVIATION SECTION
LOCATION : NAIROBI
DURATION OF CONTRACT : ONE (01) YEAR FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/AVA/015/2021
This position is funded for an initial period of one year. Extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to United Nations staff rule 4.4.
All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. Local laws governing employment for non-nationals will be observed by the United Nations. A staff member
subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Organizational setting and reporting relationships:
The position is located in the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) within the Aviation Section.
The incumbent will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, and report to Chief Aviation Officer (CAVO) or the Chiefn Technical Compliance Officer.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
● Implement supervision of the day-to-day work of the Aircraft Used Report (AUR) team and all staff in Technical Compliance Unit (TCU).
● Ensure Maintain the Monthly Aviation Summary spread sheet as per New York HQ requirements with the entries in Aircraft Used Report (AURs).
● Implementation and Management of Aviation Information Management Suite (AIMS) in the Mission
● Air Fleet Contracts, Air Fleet Operations, Air Fleet Invoicing, Service Validation and Approval.
● Maintain a database of all aviation property assigned to his Cell to include air assets and aviation equipment.
● Coordinate with other units in the mission and agencies, funds and programmes on air operations matters.
● Prepare daily situation reports and maintain electronic records of them.
● Coordinate and monitor all routine flights, special flights and military operational flights and other air transportation activities.
● Coordinate the Search and Rescue (S&R) and Aero-medical evacuation activities as required.
● Update and disseminate all aeronautical, meteorological and threat information.
● Briefs the aircrew and Sector aviation staff members on Notice to Air Men (NOTAMS) and other available information concerning flight operations.
● Monitor threat and risk assessments, Operational Risk Management (ORM), flight clearance & flight following information.
● Maintain a database of crew lists and duty time, risk assessments forms, flight hours, missions performed and fuel status, fuel upload, re-fueling operations and the maintenance of aircraft and flight hours.
● May supervise other Air Operations Assistants, United Nations Volunteers (UNV) and Individual Consultants supporting air operations.
● May be required to submit Sub-Unit Standard Operation Procedures (SOP).
● Perform all other duties as required by Mission Aviation Technical Compliance and Quality Management System.
PROFESSIONALISM: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others, Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required, allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work, foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning, Monitors and
adjusts plans and actions as necessary, Uses time efficiently.
Qualification and Experience
Education: High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Technical training in aviation – related activities (Air Traffic Services, Aeronautical
Information Services, Aeronautical Telecommunications, Dispatch, Planning, etc) is required. Training from equivalent military institutions and possessions of Air Traffic Service License will be advantage. Training in Aviation Information Management Suite (Air Fleet Contracts, Air Fleet Operations, Service Validation, etc) is desirable.
Experience: A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in Air Transportation Operations or related field.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For this position fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History Profile (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 02 October 2021 will not be accepted.
Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly attach a copy of High School Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card.
These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibility.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).