Location: Fully Remote (GMT-1 to GMT+2)
WHO WE ARE
M-KOPA Solar is the global leader in distributed, off-grid energy provision. We manufacture small-scale home solar energy systems, which are GSM-enabled in order to allow remote shut-off/control. We sell to customers in low-income markets on credit, with the ability to incentivize regular payments by enabling/disabling solar systems remotely. After 1-3 years of payment, customers own their systems outright, after which GSM control is disabled. Using this innovative model, M-KOPA has managed to support over 3 million people with access to reliable, clean energy, with many million more to come. At our current pace, M-KOPA is providing electricity to over 600 new households every day.
M-KOPA Solar is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. We have satellite offices in Tanzania, Uganda, and Nigeria, and an engineering office located in Woking, UK (~30 minutes by train to South London). Our software engineering team is fully remote.
This is a senior engineering position on M-KOPA’s backend engineering team. You will work with a small team of engineers, product managers, and testers to deliver solidly architected + tested services, and to maintain those services in production.
Education: A degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience / self-directed learning. (We care much more about your skills than about how you acquired them)
Experience: At least 3+ years of experience working as a professional software engineer/architect on medium/large scale distributed systems
Knowledge / Skills:
▪ Experience shipping high-quality backend code into production.
▪ Experience orchestrating and managing cloud infrastructure (preferably in the infrastructure-as-code paradigm, or a willingness to learn)
▪ Comfort with the devops culture, and with the idea of being involved with the management of the systems that you build through their entire lifecycle.
▪ Collaborative spirit and a strong desire to learn from teammates and to work as part of a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.
▪ Experience with C# would be an asset but, for the right candidate, experience with any object-oriented language can easily substitute.
▪ Experience building software for the financial services industry would be an asset.
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the experience and skills.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.