The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan ) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
SENIOR ICT OFFICER
Department: EAHRC Department of Knowledge Management
Current Scale/Grade: P2
Job reports to: Principal Health Officer (Knowledge Management)
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate implementation of ICT Systems and Strategies.
- Recommend innovative Systems that address EAHRC requirements.
- Coordinate EAHRC wide information systems networks including coordinating and linking with other EAHRC Stakeholders in the process of designing, updating, and managing the Web Portal.
- Manage internal ICT systems involving feasibility studies, system analysis, design and development.
- Coordinate evaluation, configuration and installations of software systems and tools.
- Manage local, intra and wide area networks, bandwidth, e-security.
- Maintain and upgrade servers, computers, network hardware and software.
- Assist in coordinating activities of functional department within the Commission and train end users.
- Ensure security and backup copies of core systems and data are maintained.
- Ensure ICT disaster recovery and business continuity plans are maintained.
- Administer the workflow of the EAHRC journals (e.g. EAHRJ, etc.) from electronic submission, review, to publication. Support the teams of the journals (e.g. the editors-in-chief, editorial teams, editorial boards, authors, reviewers, managing editors, etc.
- Support conferences organized by EAHRC (e.g. the biennial Health and Scientific Conference, Digital health summit, etc.), and when required, support conferences organized by EAHRC stakeholders (e.g. National Focal Points, development partners, etc.). The support required spans from pre-conference preparatory phase, the actual conference, and post-conference phase. The responsibilities activities include setting up and managing the conference website, registration of participants (attendees, speakers, exhibitors, etc.), submission of abstracts, live streaming of conference, social media, podcasts, etc.
- Manage the open science platform for health (big data for health).
- Oversee the overall day-to-day management, maintenance, and updating of the EAHRC web portal for health information.
- Embrace the Commission’s vision and values and the ideals of the Commission towards service delivery.
- Put strategies to ensure accomplishment of the EAHRC objectives.
- Undertake any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the EAHRC management in order to meet personal, team, and EAHRC objectives.
Key Performance Indicators:
- All objectives of the Web portal for Health Information in EAC met.
- Running of EAHRJ supported.
- ICT strategies, policies, procedure and systems developed.
- Functional ICT systems in place and upgraded. - Backup copies of all core systems are made and maintained.
- Timely submission of reports on implementation of ICT strategies.
- Number of developed systems and databases deployed.
- Number of Project proposals developed to mobilize funds for ICT projects.
Minimum Job Requirements Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- A Master’s of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a Master’s degree in ICT administration, or its equivalent.
- Holding a degree/diploma/certificate of ICT applied to health and data management, hospital management systems, health research, will be an added advantage.
- All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for both locally and internationally attained qualifications. Work Experience
- Minimum of 08 years’ experience with at least 03 years in managing health web site at a senior level including; processing health database, managing health-based ICT infrastructure and systems,
- Experience in using geographic information system (GIS) for health will be an important value.
Skills and competencies:
- Knowledge of, and competence in modern web development tools, ICT systems e.g. HTML, PHP, MySQL and ICT systems administration and project management
- Knowledge and competence in using GIS in order to capture, store, manipulate, analyse, manage, and present in the EAHRC web portal health-related spatial or geographic data. - Practical experience/skills in managing database systems (e.g. database designing, database administration), and Web Content Management Systems
- Practical skills working with web hosting platforms
- Knowledge in business re-engineering and strategies, and systems analysis and design
- Familiar with tools in ICT security management
- Knowledge in managing emails
- Technical skills in drafting ICT-related specifications and contracts - Practical skills in management and leadership of ICT-based health or health research projects/programmes - Working experience in Network Administration (LAN, WAN)
- Experience in business continuity/disaster recovery management skills
- Familiar with the regional (EAC) and global health sector
- Experience in ICT applied to health care information management; Health Information Management Systems
- Practical skills to apply big data to health care
- A commitment to quality and the desire to excel.
- Ability to assist in the demonstration and training of staff in the use of ICT systems and programme
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; copy to: email@example.com Website : www.eac.int