Location: Fully Remote (GMT-1 to GMT+2)
WHO WE ARE
M-KOPA Solar is the global leader in distributed, off-grid energy provision. We manufacture small-scale home solar energy systems, which are GSM-enabled in order to allow remote shut-off/control. We sell to customers in low-income markets on credit, with the ability to incentivize regular payments by enabling/disabling solar systems remotely. After 1-3 years of payment, customers own their systems outright, after which GSM control is disabled. Using this innovative model, M-KOPA has managed to support over 3 million people with access to reliable, clean energy, with many million more to come. At our current pace, M-KOPA is providing electricity to over 600 new households every day.
M-KOPA Solar is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. We have satellite offices in Tanzania, Uganda, and Nigeria, and an engineering office located in Woking, UK (~30 minutes by train to South London). Our software engineering team is fully remote.
This is a senior engineering position on M-KOPA’s backend engineering team. You will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining M-KOPA’s infrastructure for application hosting and integration. You will also be responsible for supporting teams in CI/CD and DevOps practices.
A few more points about this position:
• We currently host all of our services on Microsoft Azure. The majority of services are hosted on Azure Kubernetes Service, with some legacy services hosted on traditional VMs. You would be directly responsible for our shared hosting infrastructure.
• You would be the only dedicated infrastructure engineer on a team of 20+ software developers. So while you would definitely have ownership over the shared infrastructure, you will get leverage on your time by empowering the developers themselves to manage 90%+ of infrastructure work (e.g. CI/CD, resource scaling, observability, etc.) within a framework that you manage.
• You will work an on-call shift, but only occasionally, e.g. ~1 week per month; the rest of the on-call rotation will be handled by other engineers within the team (which further increases the incentive to ensure that our other engineers understand our infrastructure!)
• You will be involved in networking configuration for 3rd party service integrations and you will be a key player in security audits for all of our services.
• You will be involved in migrating legacy services onto a uniform, modern hosting infrastructure.
• You may have the chance to be involved in application development, depending on our infrastructure workload and your interest.
Education: A degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience/learning. (We care much more about your skills than about how you acquired them)
Experience: At least 3+ years of experience working as a professional software engineer/architect. You should have at least one role focused on infrastructure or be able to make a strong case for why you think you’re ready for your first infrastructure role.
Knowledge / Skills:
• Experience with the management of application hosting infrastructure in Microsoft Azure (note: experience with Azure Kubernetes Service is not required, although it would be helpful – you will need to learn AKS though)
• Experience with infrastructure-as-code and an understanding in its value as an approach.
• Strong computer networking skills and experience with network security/configuration.
• Strong DevOps mentality; you should have an orientation towards eliminating bottlenecks and enabling a broad team of software engineers to deliver value based on a robust shared infrastructure/processes
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a productive member of a fairly flat team that invests explicitly in a positive and supportive workplace culture.
• Commitment to inclusivity and a belief that “engineering is for everyone”
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the experience and skills.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.