Job terms: Fixed Term Contract. Full-time. 1 Year Renewable
Starting: 1st February 2021
Reporting to: Managing Director
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle management. The role offers an experienced Project Manager an opportunity to work on exciting development projects within a growing consultancy firm led by Somali speaking experts.
You will set project planning standards to determine the resources and schedule required to deliver projects, and facilitate a process to allocate budget and human resources. You will ensure that project staff and consultants are working toward common goals and intended outcomes and results. You will be responsible for directly managing the administration of multiple projects including by:
- Driving complex project towards on time and budget delivery.
- Ensuring that deliverables are tracked and implemented to the highest quality.
- Planning, preparing and communicating workplans and progress records of project activities and expenditures, and assist others in establishing project schedules and milestones.
- Ensure risks are mitigated and escalated as needed
- Develop, promote and maintain standards and tools for portfolio and project management
- Lead on the development of procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and duties as required related to overall administration of projects
- Closing out projects by reviewing lessons learned and using insights to improve project management processes.
- You will coordinate with the Managing Director and team leaders for strategic planning and escalates to appropriate decision-makers as needed.
- You will make timely decisions and act as knowledge and coordination lead for various project functions
- You are responsible for the performance management of project personnel;
- Overall responsible for the management of risk, due diligence, supply chain management, procurement and adherence to corporate policies including, but not limited to, Duty of Care, Ethics & Conflict of interest etc.
- You will lead the project teams for the successful delivery of the deliverables, ensuring on-time delivery of key milestone reports, as well as the timely completion of the key activities and the delivery of the outputs.
Contracting, procurement and finance
- Lead the internal approval process for contracts for services and procurement for the assigned project.
- Drafts SOW/ToRs and contracts for consultants, subcontractors, suppliers and service providers;
- Manage contracts including, by developing systems for efficient management of contractor activities and overseeing the sub-contracting performances and track progress.
- Supervise the procurement process including implementation of the procurement policy and procedures that comply with our and Donor requirements.
- Work closely with the Finance manager to ensure expenditure is against budget and that payment for suppliers is completed a timely manner.
- Provide timely information and status updates on assigned projects both internally and externally as per reporting requirements;
- Ensure the programme meets its logframe/logical model targets and reporting against it.
- Produce project reports (frequency may vary per project) and provide input into reporting processes if project is being co-delivered with other implementing partners.
- Assist in the review, editing, and formatting of project deliverables and other products, and ensure quality and branding.
Project Management Office
- You will develop key processes and tools to support project portfolio management for all project components (i.e., scope definition, analysis and planning, implementation, change management and deliverables).
- Lead, facilitate, organize, and coordinate improvements to project management by forming and leading a Project Management Office suitable for our organisation’s size.
- Design best practice project management processes, tools and training for the entire project lifecycle.
- Draft project management governance documentation, including related policies, SOPs and terms of reference
- Develop and Deliver project management training
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience of leading large, complex, international development projects or programmes (DFID or USAID funded projects highly desirable).
- Demonstrated project management skills with direct experience of systems, process and tools development; risk management, strong contract and financial management.
- A self-starter, with the ability to work effectively in a team and with minimum supervision.
- Proven organisational abilities to undertake several tasks simultaneously and deliver to agreed deadlines.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- PMP / PRINCE II certification is a plus.
- Excellent communication and management skills to manage multinational teams and gather input from a range of internal and external stakeholders within pressurised schedules.
- Very strong writing skills to be able to construct high quality, complex narratives and convey complex ideas simply and clearly.
- Experience with delivering complex engagements from analysis through to implementation
- Experience working in management consulting or similar experience focused on the government and public sector
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop Junior staff
- Willingness to travel to meet business needs