Reporting to: Head of MIS Unit
Location: Based in the Development Pathways’ office in Nairobi, Kenya, with international travel of up to 3 months per year. Please note due to the current COVID situation, staff are currently remote working and not travelling.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with experience plus benefits
Are you an experienced and enthusiastic Systems Analyst? Here is an exciting opportunity for you to join an international organisation and help to reduce poverty. You will be part of our in-house MIS team and have the opportunity to work with our external consultants, to lead on MIS projects across the world with our innovative designs for the delivery of public services.
You will be joining us at an exciting time as we expand and strengthen our MIS team. This position will also require leadership and management skills as the successful candidate will be managing a range of IT projects, staff and teams.
As an organisation, we are committed to innovative, progressive and evidence-based social policy and our ICT work is firmly embedded within this vision. Across our work, we ensure that we support policies and programmes that are robust, strengthen human rights, promote gender equality and women’s empowerment and benefit all members of society, including the most vulnerable.
This position will be based in Kenya and will contribute to the development of the Pathways MIS framework, building on lessons from social policy management information systems implementations in the last 10 years. As a company, we foster a learning environment and you will also be part of this. Your work will involve international travel, once the current COVID crisis subsides.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the design and implementation of management information systems for public services in projects undertaken by Development Pathways, leading teams of software developers and engineers, providing advice on IT and MISs to governments and development organisations, and contributing to cutting-edge technology development.
A core component of the project-related work will be for the Senior Systems Analyst to translate the high-level requirements of system design into detailed system requirements including process maps, case diagrams, entity-relationship diagrams and data flow diagrams, document system interfaces and develop data models.
The Senior Systems Analyst have the following roles and responsibilities.
- Provide technical leadership and quality control over the development and implementation of management information systems designed and implemented by Pathways;
- Within projects, translate high level functional and technical requirements for management information systems into detailed designs including process maps, case diagrams and data flow diagrams; and, produce wireframes, user interface specifications and visual prototypes that ensure a high-quality user experience. This will require delivering high-level documentation on the requirements and design of systems while effectively communicating with development teams.
- Lead the development and implementation of MIS projects undertaken by Pathways, overseeing the performance and delivery of internal IT specialists and external consultants.
- Advise governments and development agencies on IT and MIS development across public services.
- Identify business opportunities for Pathways and contribute technical inputs to bids that are led by our Business Development team.
- Responsible for ensuring stakeholders are aligned with and aware of the strategy, vision, capability and constraints of the Social Protection MIS platform and operating model;
7. Manage and mentor software developers and system analysts in Pathways and build their technical skills in systems analysis and design
8. Undertake research on the latest frameworks for IT development and develop innovative products that can be implemented by Pathways;
9. Support Pathways’ communications strategy on MIS development, including contributing papers, blogs and content for our website
10.Undertake training on MIS development and delivery.
The Senior Systems Analyst must have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
- A degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Science or related degree. A Master’s Degree in Computer-related field is preferable;
- Strong documentation skills with capacity to write quality MIS proposals, System Specifications and publish articles on Social Protection Programme Operations and MIS;
- A minimum of 10 years of technology experience working in ICT industry with at least 5 years’ hands-on expertise managing projects with strong Social Protection component;
- 5 years of experience in user interface and user experience design as well as experience with relevant tools, such as Adobe Experience Design, Macaw, Axure RP, and Balsamiq.
- Strong experience in conducting business process reviews, functional gaps and overlaps in the programs, particularly for integrated programs;
- Good interpersonal, organizational and time management skills;
- Effective communication, negotiation and relationship-building skills;
- Extensive knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms, and enterprise software applications;
- Technical experience with systems networking, databases, Web development, and user support;
- Sound knowledge of MISs or other relevant information systems; and
- Fluent in English.
- International work experience in developing countries conducting similar work is an advantage; and
- Proficiency in French, Portuguese and/or Spanish.
Equality and diversity are at the core of Development Pathways’ values. In the selection of our staff, we are committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and are inclusive of persons with disabilities: well-qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
Terms of Employment and Benefits
Salary will be assessed during the selection process, to reflect the level of experience and qualification. This is a permanent and full-time position
The successful candidate would receive an attractive package of the following:
- Entry into the company pension scheme;
- Entry into the company bonus scheme;
- Flexible working hours;
- 26 days holidays in a year (excluding public/bank holidays);
- Company laptop;
- Group life assurance;
- Access into the company private health insurance scheme.
How to apply
We invite interested candidates who meet the requirements to email their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should include:
- A one-page cover letter explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your recent relevant experience and skills meet the requirements of this position;
- A Curriculum Vitae (maximum of two pages) specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience.
If successful, we will expect the names, email addresses and day-time contact numbers of two referees, one of them being your current line manager/supervisor (please do not send this information with your application).
Also, please note, if you are applying to be based in the UK office, then this position is only open to those who have the right to reside and work in the UK, so we will expect relevant proof of such if asked for an interview (please do not send this information with your application).
Closing date for this post will be Friday, 23rd of October 2020 at 17.00 BST
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be selected prior to the closing date. Candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to complete a brief assessment and to participate in an interview.
Due to the high number of applications expected, unfortunately, only successful candidates will be contacted.