Reports to: National Sales Manager
Storymoja is an ethical fast-growing profit-making social enterprise that primarily publishes books for children. Storymoja is probably best known for its annual international festival and the Start-a-Library initiative.
Our vision is to ‘Get a book in every hand.’
Our mission is to become a commercially profitable business that stimulates and benefits from a vibrant East African reading and writing culture.
Our core values - (POPSIR) - we are passionate, open, path breaking, smart, value integrity, and are responsive to our staff, customers, partner’s and client’s concerns.
Purpose of the position:
Conceptualize design, fundraise and implement strategic plans that deliver targets agreed in the annual organization strategy and thus steer the growth of the organization and ensure sustainability. The role combines strategic thinking, fundraising, operational leadership, training, skill development and day to day support for the Sales team.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Conducting research on fundraising opportunities, writing funding proposals and submitting these to potential donors.
- Leverage your networks and business acumen to land and manage strategic or sponsorship partners for current ‘bulk sales’ projects
- Champion reading and promote the Storymoja brand to teachers in schools, other key stakeholders and strategic partners.
- Nurture strong relationships with potential and current Strategic Partners with a view to understanding mutual objectives, and inspiring them to participate and support Storymoja reading campaigns.
- Work closely with the Sales team to develop quarterly, annual and longer-term campaigns, projects and strategies
- Champion reading and promote the Storymoja brand to all key stakeholders and strategic partners in education.
- Provide weekly reports and continuously review tasks/ targets to ensure that all agreed deliverables are on track.
- Lead, mentor, train and grow a high performing Sales team with an ability to achieve month on month targets.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the management from time to time and which are related to the achievement of Storymoja’s mission and vision.
The right candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Communication & PR/Project Management/ Business Management /Journalism, or any related field. (A Master's degree is an added advantage)
- Proven 5 years and above fundraising experience; able to develop tight fundraising proposals and concept notes for small and large grants.
- Excellent writing, analytic, presentation and communication skills
- Must have sharp public speaking skills and be able to deliver presentations to a range of audiences.
- Must be attentive to detail and good at follow up.
- Very confident in corporate sales.
What We Offer
- Comprehensive health insurance – Inpatient / Outpatient / Dental / Optical
- Flexible vacation
- Office lunch
- Don't Keep Share
Apply via "Apply Now Button" by submitting:
- A cover letter
- A CV with 3 referees
- Current and expected salary and benefits.
- A one pager proposal of a project that seeks to address the lack of reading resources in schools.
‘While the National Government has incorporated library lessons in the curriculum and invested heavily to ensure children are able to access textbooks, the critical role of storybooks as foundational language textbooks still remains unappreciated. Uwezo report accessed via the following link:http://www.uwezo.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/UwezoKenya2015ALAReport-FINAL-EN-web.pdf shows huge disparities in learning outcomes and literacy. How can we equip schools with reading material and advocate for reading as key to improving academic performance?