Structural Engineer Position requires thorough knowledge of civil/structural design and engineering techniques. Responsible to plan and conduct independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
Devise new approaches to problems, and prepare or modify drawings, specifications, calculations, charts and graphs, and monitor work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted engineering practices.
Typical Duties: Typical duties will include but not be limited to the preparation and/or modification of the following:
• Civil/Structural engineering calculations.
• Civil/Structural engineering plans, design, and layout.
• Civil/Structural project specifications.
• Civil/Structural engineering portion of project proposals.
• Civil/Structural engineering portion of project cost estimates. Essential Functions: Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
• Perform structural design and analysis calculations using governing codes and standards, engineering formulas, skills, and experience.
• Layout and details portions of projects using schematic layout by project lead engineer. May be assigned responsibility for schematic or conceptual layouts when qualified.
• Provide drawing for own designs and produce sketches to incorporate in drawings by Designers/Drafters.
• Research design options and document findings for project lead engineer.
• Review shop drawings.
• Assume the lead engineer’s role on assigned projects.
• May serve as Project Engineer and as a designated Client contact on smaller, less complex projects.
• Develop probable construction cost estimates for his/her projects within the department.
• May direct and supervise other Designers/Drafters activities.
• Coordinate work with other disciplines such as architectural, mechanical, electrical, etc.
• Handle routine contract administration.
• Use computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering design documents.
• Attend and participate in Client meetings.
• Perform field activities such as observe and record existing field conditions, take and verify measurements within project area.
• Organize, draft, and coordinate technical documents.
• Capable and experienced in managing and performing projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Civil/Structural Engineering, and at least 2 years of experience with knowledge in civil and/or structural engineering, obtainable usually through a combination of experience and continuing education; or
• Master of Science degree in Structural/Civil Engineering, and at least 2 years of experience with advanced technical knowledge in civil and/or structural engineering, obtainable usually through a combination of experience and continuing education; or
• Equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Skills and Special Requirements/Licensing:
• Revit/BIM or equivalent finite element analysis software.
• Working knowledge of Auto Cad or other drafting software.
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite.