Department / Location: Supply Chain Manager :Nairobi (occasional visits to field-Kisii)
Direct Reports: Sales and Marketing Manager
Line Reporting: Chief Executive Officer
Salary K.Shs. 250,000-300,000/=
1. Procurement and Supply Chain Management
i) Manages the entire process in the planning of procurement and supply chain activities, inventory control, logistics and distribution, ensuring effectively-functioning processes to avoid costly delays and lost opportunities
ii) Ensures effective lines of communication between the departments and the procurement team to ensure priority requirements, timely delivery of goods, works and services using the most appropriate procurement procedures
iii) Be responsible for introducing process improvements in the supply chain and identify new vendors/suppliers without jeopardizing quality and service delivery
iv) Manages relationships with vendors, suppliers and contractors that facilitate smooth flow of services to departments
v) Implements effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system for projects and related reporting requirements
vi) Ensures effective use of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Procurement, control of workflows, continuous business processes monitoring and elaboration of improvements in systems and processes
vii) Manages and monitors all transactional procurement including tendering processes, evaluation, contracting, contract management, legal considerations and payment conditions, contractors, performance evaluation and risk assessment
viii) Implements strategic procurement including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management and performance measurement
ix) Ensures timely preparation of procurement plans for projects and monitor their implementation by controlling processes including receipt of requisitions, organization of Request for Quotation (RFQ), Invitation to Bid (ITB) and Request for Proposal (RFP), receipt of quotations, bids and proposals, evaluation and negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with the Company Procurement Manual and the Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR)
x) Develops and manages the rosters of suppliers, elaborate supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms
xi) Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual procurement plans and progress reports as required
xii) Promotes a zero-tolerance for violations of procurement policies and procedures
2. Contracts Administration and Management
i) Provides oversight over various contract management processes and ensure transparency.
ii) Develops and implements systems for internal control that would ensure compliance with contractual terms and conditions in collaboration with Project / Programme Managers and Team Leaders.
iii) Negotiates contract terms with bid winners and the selected contractors in the best manner achieving the best interest of the Company.
iv) Monitors and analyzes contract performance against agreed benchmarks through agreed reporting mechanisms and advise projects on potential issues and recommend remedial actions.
v) Negotiates, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations and convene meetings with contractors to allow ample opportunity for the identification and early resolution of potential disputes.
vi) Conducts activities required by the contract including logistical support, accreditation, licensing, verification of goods, monitoring of activities and performance of subcontractors.
vii) Develops appropriate contract management tools, guidelines and manuals for standardization and knowledge sharing purposes.
viii) Prepares Purchase Orders, Amendments, and requests for contract awards and/or waivers for accumulated procurement values ensuring that all specifications, terms and conditions are clear and correct.
3. General Administration /Management Duties
i) Organizes and delivers trainings for the operations/project personnel on procurement, supply chain, logistics, assets management and synthesize lessons learned and best practices
ii) Manages the entire Procurement Office and coordinate with respective practitioners from projects
iii) Appraises and motivates the entire procurement team
iv) Ensures regular submission of procurement activity reports, logistics and assets reports to management and projects
v) Ensures all activities are compliant with standard reporting requirements and audits
vi) Maintains harmonious working relations within the procurement team
4. Health and Safety
(i) Ensures I and my team comply with the Health and Safety guidelines and following good housekeeping rules
(ii) Ensures that my workstation and that of my team members are set up correctly for my individual and team requirements respectively.
(iii) Ensures that my working area and that of team members are free from slip and trip hazards.
(iv) Attends all HSE training requested by management and
(v) Creates health and safety awareness to all procurement teams under supervision
5. Any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the management.
Function / Market & Industry Knowledge / Business Acumen / Process working
• Knowledge about and understanding of trends and challenges for the industry
• Basic understanding of key concepts in construction management, civil and electrical engineering, and power systems.
• Business administration competence and Supply Chain Management skills
• Overall knowledge and understanding of business processes and interdependencies
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
• Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
• Ability to promote integrity and business ethics; demonstrate mature judgment, trust and open communication; ability to ensure effective team work, collaborative behaviour and team spirit
• Ability to develop collaborative and harmonious relationship with external partners and vendors at the senior level.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills to persuade and influence others
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work schedules
• Willingness to travel
Skills & Competencies
• Project management,
• Technical understanding,
• Cost accounting,
• E-business / e-procurement systems,
• Risk management
• Troubleshooting & problem solving,
• Cross-cultural / global issues knowledge and understanding,
• Business ethics,
• Knowledge and analysis of financial statements scrutiny
• Driven to excel, and perform; not a 9-5 mentality
• Comfortable with ambiguity
• Sunny disposition and good sense of humor
• Self-starter with excellent organizational and planning skills Good communicator
• Ability to cope with and handle stressful situations.
• Extremely self-motivated, confident, creative, disciplined with attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
• Exceptional people handling, problem solving skills and Team Player
Educational /Professional background / Work experience
• Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, or related and equivalent qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following:- Procurement and Supplies Management, Procurement and Logistics, Commerce, Business Administration (Supplies Management Option), Economics or other relevant and equivalent qualifications
• First Degree/ Higher National Diploma in Electrical Engineering, an added advantage
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in the delivery and management of procurement and supply chain services, logistics and assets management in Kenya;3 of which should be at management level
• Demonstrated experience working with Customs/KRA, local and international logistics firms: freight forwarders in imports and exports
• Extensive experience managing procurement and logistics processes with International suppliers and vendors particularly in China
• Experience in procurement within renewable energy sector
• CIPS certification highly desirable
• Membership to a professional body either Kenya Institute of Supplies Management (KISM) or Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply CIPS or both
• Possession of a driving license is an added advantage.
• Excellent computer skills- Microsoft Office package especially (Access) , ERP
• Proficient in productivity tools: Google Apps, Asana, Slack
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified individuals should forward their application letter and updated CV indication their availability period, current and expected salary.