Job Title: Trainer
Hours of Work: Part-Time with the ability to transition to full-time
Wages: To commensurate with experience
Location: Nairobi (Lavington, Westlands, Parklands, and other venues throughout Nairobi)
Strong Start is a fast-growing social enterprise that provides early childhood support for families and communities throughout Nairobi. Our classes and playgroups teach caregivers how to create fun and stimulating environments at home for children to thrive.
Our positive parenting approach contains the 5 Domains of Early Learning, which sets the trajectory for a child’s growth and development over a lifetime (5 Domains of Early Learning: Physical Development, Social Development, Cognitive Development, Language Development & Life Skills).
Strong Start enables children’s access to positive learning spaces while building meaningful, and professional employment opportunities for women in the caregiving industry. Our trainings offer caregivers opportunities to advance their professional skills while on the job, which leads to higher job retention, promotions, and higher living wages.
Strong Start is now looking for teachers to teach classes and run playgroups throughout Nairobi. Class subjects range from sensory play to sports to arts & crafts, nature play and more. Teachers must be able to work with child and adult learners. Work hours and venues change, so APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE FLEXIBILITY TO ADAPT TO TEACHING LOCATIONS AND TIMINGS.
We are looking for teachers with progressive teaching practices whose early childhood development values are aligned with positive learning approaches. Teachers with strong levels of professionalism (ability to meet deadlines, manage work schedule, always arrive on time), have a strong work ethic, with a drive to grow professionally are encouraged to apply.
• Teach Strong Start classes by following lesson plans, teacher guides and objectives
• Prepare for each class and playgroup in advance, including, preparing and organizing materials to meet class objectives
• Clearly communicate class objectives to students and ensure quality teaching of classes and playgroups that meet their learning objectives (includes starting and ending on time)
• Plan and conduct playgroup activities for a balanced program that meets the learning objectives
• Assess, document, and report on the development of each child
• Set a positive example by practicing quality professionalism and creating a positive, fun and stimulating environment for students to actively engage in the learning environment
• Be a positive brand ambassador of Strong Start
• Teach at different venues throughout Nairobi
• Teach during the week / evenings / weekends
• Diploma or Certificate in one of the following areas: Early Childhood Development, Education, Montessori, Waldorf
• At least three years of experience working as a teacher
• Experience developing curricula preferred
• Certificate of Good Conduct
• Fluency in both English and Kiswahili
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Flexibility to work at different sites and venues throughout Nairobi
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends
• Knowledgeable and passionate about the job
• Ability to meet class objects
• A team player but also a self-starter
• Available professional references
• Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• Strong integrity
• Self-starter with pro-active approach, strong time management and prioritisation skills
• Goal-oriented, hitting monthly and termly goals and objectives, with the energy and stamina to work well in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently as well as on a team
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.