Department/Function: Production Spices
Reports to: Line Supervisor
Location: Nairobi Kenya
Station: Head Office
High level Position Summary (Describe the basic purpose of the role key areas of responsibility)
The aim of this job is to deliver finished products on time and in full, in consistence with intended Productivity, Quality, Delivery, Safety, and moral expectations.
Key Responsibilities (Provide details of key responsibilities; preferably in order of importance and/or time spent)
• Observing all rules and regulations as stipulated in the company policies and regulations (Food safety policy, hygiene rules, and THL code of conduct).
• Report to the supervisor any unwanted activity or that which goes against the spirit of the food safety policy, hygiene rules and the THL code of conduct.
• Writing daily production reports on time.
• Cleaning, Inspection and Lubrication of all machines and their records and any other assignment as directed by superior.
• Calculate mean time between failures and mean time to repair and be part of root cause seeking thereof.
• Participate in all problem solving sessions where machines are involved.
• Ensure that process equipment are maintained clean all the time and update cleaning records.
• Report any product non-conformities as a result of machine failure to the section supervisor, and isolate any affected product to prevent unintended use.
• Maintain proper documentation of all the activities as stipulated in the various SOPs.
• Should learn how to run and operate all machinery in Production Department, both Spices and Snacks Sections.
• Able to train new operators (and old ones) on how to run and operate the machines properly/reduce down time and stoppage time (increase up time) and reduce raw materials wastage.
• Checking of all machines (having a check list) every day, and maintain complete machine history.
• Identifying problem/root cause on all machines that might delay the production and or cause non conformities on the product.
• Reporting (or raising a job card) any machine to Engineering that requires immediate repair, and to be able to identify and justify machines problem/s that repair or maintenance can be delayed (in favor of production) without causing additional problems or damage on the machine.
• Performing any other duties as assigned by the superiors.
Special Requirements: (Unique working conditions and circumstances, if applicable. For example, more than 30% travel required or working hours are in the evening)
1. Math Skills: Good maths skills will help machine operators understand complex instructions, how schematics work and make sure items are designed and built correctly.
2. Problem Solving Skills: Machine operators will need to know why machines are not at peak performance, how to increase output and how to fix errors.
3. Attention to Detail: Technical operators will work with precision equipment. Being off by millimeters could be a critical error. Keen attention to detail is required.
4. Mechanical and Technical Skills: Some machines are controlled by computers and operators will need to work with PLC technology. Others are highly mechanical and operators will need to know how and why they work.
5. Stamina: Technical operators often work long hours doing repetitive movements.
6. Analytical Skills: Technical operators will need to read and understand blueprints, schematics, models and other specifications.
7. Report writing and Advance Computer Skills: Machine operators will from time to time be required to prepare reports on their Lines’/Machines’ performance for analysis
8. People Management Skills: Technical operators will at times be put in charge of other staff in their areas of responsibilities
Note: All job descriptions are subject to management review and may be modified based on business requirements. In case of any variation between this description and the actual duties performed, management has the right to make appropriate decision.
Relationships: (Enumerate the relationships internal and external that the holder of this position will relate with to perform his/her functions well)
1. Head of Department
2. Section Heads
3. Engineering Technicians
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills Required (List the requisite educational degree, certification or professional accreditation; years and field of experience; and technical and behavioral competencies related to the job)
• Bachelor’s Degree / Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical and Process Engineering or Equivalent
• At least 3 years’ working experience in FMCG (Manufacturing)
• Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices
• Training and working knowledge of HACCP and ISO 22000
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong Microsoft Office skills
• Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects
• Strong organizational, problem solving and analytical skills.