The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan, and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social, and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade, and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at EAC Competition Authority.
DEPUTY REGISTRAR, MONOPOLIES AND CARTELS
Organ / Institution: East African Community Competition Authority
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Grade: P5
Job reports to: Registrar
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Registrar, the Deputy Registrar, Monopolies and Cartels shall perform the following functions:
- Manage the operations of the Directorate in liaison with the Registrar;
- Develop policies and guidelines on Monopolies and Cartels in the EAC;
- Investigate/monitor anti-competitive trade or restrictive business practices that have the effect of prevention, restriction and distortion of competition in the EAC;
- Carry out market research, assessments, analysis in identified sectors in a liaison with the Research Policy and Advocacy Unit;
- Proactively develop competition assessment operational guidelines and procedures in line with international best practices;
- Compile and submit investigation reports and case recommendations to the Registrar;
- Submit performance reports to the Registrar of the Authority;
- Develop a pragmatic directorate strategic vision, objectives and strategies to feed into the corporate strategic plan;
- Prepare Directorate budgets and programs; and,
- Performance of all such related duties as may be assigned by the Registrar.
Qualifications and Experience:
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
Advanced degree (at least a Masters) in Economics or Law. Qualification in Marketing, Business, Public administration and management disciplines will be an added advantage.
A minimum of at least 10 years relevant post-qualifying experience in competition matters, 5 of which should be at managerial level.
Skills and Competencies:
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EAC economic integration agenda;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to influence multi-stakeholder processes;
- Excellent analytical skills particularly in interpreting, using, analysing and presenting data and evidence;
- Accurate or intelligent or other demonstrable knowledge in competition, industrial organisation or industry structures in any of the countries in the Common Market.
The suitable candidate should have the following attributes: shapes strategic thinking, achieves results, team player, exemplifies personal drive and integrity, cultivates productive working relationships, communicates effectively.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (3) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training, and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form via the following link: https://www.eac.int/component/documentmananger/?task=download.document&file=bWFpbl9kb2N1bWVudHNfZG9jX2VHY2JrbGlqR0xQZnhDWGxYcHZjVkRNRUFDIEFQUExJQ0FUSU9OIEZPUk0=&counter=686.
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21st August 2020.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; copy to: email@example.com Website : www.eac.int