Specific duties of the Facility Manager will include, but not limited to:
• Ensuring the institution meets health, safety and environmental required standards and complies with all legislations which are in tandem with community expectations and Government regulations.
• Managing and overseeing Building Maintenance, Renovations, and Repairs: You will be in charge of managing building maintenance, renovation projects and repairs of damages by directing landscaping design and activities, manage crews/staff for renovations or new building projects, and schedule and follow up on repair and maintenance of building structures and electrical, plumbing, vehicle maintenance, equipment, grounds, housekeeping and other systems.
• Inspecting buildings’ structures to determine the need for repairs or renovations on a weekly or biweekly basis and sharing maintenance plan with the DO/SMT.
• Reviewing utilities consumption and strive to minimize costs where applicable.
• Supervise all facilities staff (Housekeepers, Drivers, Guards, technicians, groundskeepers etc.) and external contractors and developing work plans for the department and assigning staff duties regularly.
• Organizing department’s regular meetings to review work plans and any other duties assigned and sharing the minutes of such meetings with the DO/SMT.
• Directing and ensuring that procurement processes adhere to the procurement policies and contract management procedures for the institution for ongoing building projects.
• Providing oversight of all the projects of the institution for accountability of resources processes etc.
• Providing regular updates of construction projects undertaken by the institution occasionally to the SMT. These updates will include but not limited to;
(i) Financial position of the project at any given time (weekly) against the funds allocated.
(ii) Progress of the project viz-a-viz the approved critical path.
(iii) Weekly reports on the oversight of manpower resources (Unskilled vs skilled labor).
(iv) Any other updates that will be required from time to time.
• Oversight of the institution’s 24 hour security systems and protocols and issuing reports to the DO/SMT on violations of the protocols which could cause security threats to the institution.
• Provide oversight of management of the institution’s utilities, communications and IT infrastructure and reporting any incidences accordingly in line with the policies set.
• Developing strategic plans to ensure space, facility and infrastructural needs are met effectively.
• Implementing and Coordinating waste disposal plan for the institution in accordance with the Government regulations.
• Ensuring compliance with Government regulations and laws on any construction project/transport regulations etc and advising the Management accordingly on any changes to such regulations.
• Overseeing contractual work the institution might be engaged in. This is to ensure that contract agreements entered into are well recognized legally and binding.
• Managing Facilities department’s budgets: You will be in charge of creating and managing the budgets for the department which includes building maintenance and other related activities. You will develop budgets for supplies, personnel, contractors, and other facility needs by ensuring that all operating costs fall within a structured budget for every quarter. These budgets must be periodically reviewed with senior management before implementation.
• Appropriate Committee participation with periodic reports, evaluation and updates on areas under management.
• Management of staff and children’s official transport requirements and logistics
• Maintenance and acquisition of support vehicles for the ministry.
• Preparation of quarterly departmental budgets, project and equipment cost estimates, bills of quantity etc.
• Overseeing the training and development of departmental staff with appropriate skills for efficient service delivery.
• Assisting in the investigation, acquisition, development and maintenance of land, utilities and other necessary infrastructural requirements for the ministry.
• Arrange Workstations and Placement of Office/classroom’s Furniture: The interior design of workstations, furniture, and other items within an organization’s building typically falls to the Facilities Director. Therefore you will be required to recommend furniture and office equipment styles and models, arrangement of furniture in offices/classrooms, and supervise the layout of departmental workstations and offices upon seeking approvals from the DO/SMT.
• Reporting to the Director of Operations about the progress of the department.
• Conducting of performance evaluation for the facility department staff under the guidance of the DO and the HR.
• Preparing and submitting daily progress report on time to the SMT through the DO/HR as required.
• Oversees contractors involved in facility projects and delivery of services in a timely manner.
• Ensures building operations comply with all Kenyan Government laws and regulations.
• Creating functional strategies and specific objectives for the department by developing policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure of the institution.
• Working closely and consulting with the Director of Ministry Development in ensuring projects are completed as required and to the required standard.
• Any other duties assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
• Grade test I in electrical / plumbing.
• Crafts 1, 2 or 3 in electrical/plumbing.
• Relevant experience in management.
• Diploma in electrical or plumbing will be an added advantage.
In addition to the above, the candidate should show evidence of the following:
• Ability to prioritize and manage multi-functional tasks.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure, and against strict time constraints.
• Must be able to travel to various work-site locations on demand.
• Must be able to effectively communicate (oral and written) with all employees, contractors and vendors.
• Self-starter and team player.
• Must be organized and provide deliverables in support of project plans.
Suitable and qualified individuals should send their applications to the Director before or on 30th June, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.