The Network of African National Human Rights Institutions (NANHRI) is a membership organization of 46 African National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) registered as a legal entity under laws of the Republic of Kenya. NANHRI’s mission is to support, through national, sub‐regional, regional and international cooperation, the establishment, strengthening and development of NHRIs in Africa to enable them to more effectively undertake their mandate of human rights monitoring, promotion, protection and advocacy. Our vision is an Africa where every country has well functioning NHRI established in accordance with the Paris Principles contributing meaningfully to a continent characterised by human rights culture and justice for all. NANHRI encourages and supports the establishment of strong and independent NHRIs in compliance with the Paris Principles.
NANHRI is seeking to recruit a Senior Programmes Officer to be based at its Secretariat office in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travels on the continent.
POSITION: SENIOR PROGRAMS OFFICER
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Head Office with occasional travels in the region
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension.
Language: Bilingual (fluency in both French and English speaking/ writing capacity)
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Senior Program Officer position is newly created and will work closely with the Executive Director, Resource Mobilization and Partnership Advisor, Finance Officer, Communications officer and relevant Program Officers working on the Regional Mechanisms, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and [removed]SOGIE), and decriminalisation of petty offences and Human Right Defenders (HRDs). The Senior Program Officer’s (SPO) role is to oversee the design and implementation of diverse grant portfolio, provide technical support and expertise in regional mechanisms, SOGIE rights, and relevant support in HRDs in addition to ensuring that all programs are aligned to NANHRI’s Strategic Plan. His/her main responsibility is to ensure timely and effective implementation of programmes/projects, support fundraising and donor engagement initiatives as well as day to day staff management and monitoring of performances.
Programme Management (direct program implementation and supervisory role):
• Enhance the Secretariat program implementation system through the development of a consolidated grants /projects reporting tracker, with clear timeline and deliverables, project milestone escalation mechanism, work flow charts etc.
• Keeping track of due reports, deadlines and specific reporting requirements of each donor reporting schedule. This entails to making sure that Program Officers prepare draft reports or inputs to reports sufficiently in advance in order to meet report deadlines
• Responsible for the review of project narrative and expenditure reports, provision of timely expenditure revisions, establishing spending plan in close collaboration with Program Officers and Finance Officer
• Responsible for supporting Program Officers with grants start up meetings, development of work plans, establishing project implementation framework such as project indicator tacking table, Project close up meetings, ensure lesson learned are captured and documented to help improve program delivery and support program design
• Ensure full compliance with requirements and conditions in grant agreements and contracts, in close cooperation with RM&PA, Program Officers, and Finance Officer
• Ensure compliance with and adherence to NANHRI policies, guidance and procedures
• Conduct recruitment interviews and facilitate induction training sessions upon request
• Undertake performance expectation and evaluation of Program Officers in close collaboration with Executive Director and Resource Mobilisation and Partnership Advisor (RM&PA) contribution on resource mobilization efforts of Program Officers into setting up performance expectations and evaluations
• Supporting Program Officers and relevant staff to formulate, review and revise annual project work plans and periodic evaluations
• Support Program Officers coordinate and communicate with NANHRI members and partners in the implementation of projects to ensure projects are effectively and efficiently delivered
• Facilitate information sharing, discussions and joint decision making in working groups of members when relevant
• Coordinating internal programme monitoring and evaluation
• Coordinate regular communication with programme stakeholders and partners in collaboration with RM&PA.
• Participating in internal and external programme planning processes
• Researching and documenting issues pertaining to the programme theme
Technical support/ expertise
• Support Program Officers in providing technical support on relevant thematic areas especially Regional Human Rights Mechanisms
• Build the capacity of staff in project implementation and reporting
• Build the capacity of staff in drafting project narrative report
Fundraising, partnerships and donor liaison:
• Provide the Executive Director and Resource Mobilization/Partnership Advisor with an overview of status on programs/project implementation with a view to strategizing, creating synergy, and facilitate quality program design, implementation and fundraising
• Be a driver in the formulation of project proposals and applications in support of the secretariat’s work
• Supporting the organisation in preparing concept notes and funding proposals
• Mobilize relevant Program Officers to support fundraising initiatives
• Follow up with donors for proposal feedbacks when not received
• Maintaining and developing relationships with key programme stakeholders and partners in close coordination with the Executive Director, RM&PA and other NANHRI staff
• Find creative ways to support NANHRI fundraise and develop partnerships opportunities for achieving its strategic priorities in close collaboration with RM&PA
• Support NHRIs identify local NGOs/partners to cooperate with in NANHRI’s priority area including gender and sexual minorities
• Keep abreast donors on NANHRI’s work and updates with communication materials, research findings and best practices
• Support country offices cultivate key relationships that enhance NANHRI’s overall visibility and credibility
Program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
• Ensure that all projects contribute to measuring impact and are in line with NANHRI’s strategic plan
• Field visits to support and train staff on issues related to regional human rights mechanisms, SOGIE rights, HRDs and other relevant areas
• Support program assessments and evaluations in targeted NHRIs as required
• Ensure effective coordination of technical support provided by donors, partners, and relevant stakeholders including GANHRI
• Promote learning and knowledge management within the relevant NHRIs that is being supported
• Promote incorporation of lessons learned into new Programs and projects
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
➢ A Masters Degree in Social Sciences, Human Rights Law, International Relations, Development studies or other related field
➢ More than 5 years’ experience in the human rights and social justice field. Experience working in advocacy and legislation will be an added advantage
➢ Understanding of human rights institutions particularly as they relate to regional human rights mechanisms, Human Rights Defenders
➢ Able to clearly demonstrate experience in handling sexual and gender minorities program implementation in African context
➢ Excellent research, report writing and presentation skills
➢ Excellent concept, proposal writing and budgeting skills with resource mobilization and partnerships experience
➢ Excellent computer skills in various computer packages
➢ Excellent working knowledge of English; a good working knowledge of French will be an added advantage
➢ Good communication and interpersonal skills
➢ Good organizational and analytical skills
➢ Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
If you possess the above qualities for the position, please send your application STRICTLY clearly indicating the position on the subject matter together with a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vita, a daytime telephone contact, and names and contacts of three referees by 27th February 2021.
Please note that due to the large volumes of applications, only shortlisted candidates for the position will be contacted.