The job requires experience working with multiple business units and with asset management. This individual will play a critical role in the assessment and analysis of projects, focusing on critical time-bound dependencies in project development and program management.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 5 years
About the company
Earthtree is a Kenyan company that develops agroforestry projects – rapidly scaling up climate action with real and measurable social and environmental benefits. In Kenya, Earthtree grows new forests in a highly data-driven manner, supporting regenerative horticulture and agriculture projects that can restore ecosystems that bring back biodiversity and support farmers with new sources of revenue. We support communities to help their land regeneration goals and engage with farmers, and landholders to help them achieve their land productivity goals.
Who and what are we looking for?
The Finance and Accounting Manager produces timely, accurate, and reliable financial information. Prepares profit and loss, balance sheet accounts, group consolidations, general ledger journals, accruals, and prepayments. Reconciles accounts. Manages and controls the fixed asset register and capital expenditure controls. You will be the first accountant and will need to build processes from scratch. The job requires experience working with multiple business units and with asset management. This individual will play a critical role in the assessment and analysis of projects, focusing on critical time-bound dependencies in project development and program management.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for the project.
- Utilise Google Workplace G Suite, JIRA, Confluence, and Google Sheets automation to streamline data analysis processes and generate actionable insights.
- Prepare detailed reports and presentations that communicate analysis findings and recommendations to stakeholders, including the Program Director and Program Managers.
- Prepare and administer monthly salary payments/ payroll.
- Directing all aspects of accounting operations.
- Analyse and evaluate critical time-bound dependencies in project development and program management.
- Developing and maintaining necessary accounting policies and systems and building an accounting department as the company grows.
- Developing processes and communication flow to support different business units.
- Overseeing transactions related to the general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting.
- Coordinating, preparing and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Ensuring a smooth audit process by creating and maintaining internal controls, establishing and maintaining accurate record keeping, managing the audit process and providing requisite schedules.
- Overseeing stock administration and asset management.
- Overseeing and managing the company’s finance IT system and choosing appropriate software programs & processes based on unique needs.
- Coordinating corporate tax reporting and preparation of tax returns with outside tax accountants.
- Ensure annual tax reports are completed and submitted to local authorities in a timely manner, lead payments of Tax Deduction at Source (TDS), Goods and Services Tax (GST) to respective institutions.
- Leading financial planning, budgeting and reporting and creating and maintaining budgeting tools.
- Assisting senior executives in planning, budgeting and results management.
- Providing strategic guidance around capital financing options to support the startup’s growth
- Managing internal and external teams by setting expectations, training internal staff accountants and developing training modules and templates.
- Filing all finance related documents and collection of data for Invoicing.
- Perform bank statement reconciliation to ensure accurate bookkeeping.
- Conduct credit card reconciliation and manage expense tracking to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Manage asset depreciation, including depreciation schedules and reporting.
- Onboard yourself into Earthtree Workplace, JIRA, Confluence and Earthbanc MRV App - and check the posts each day and reply conscientiously with Earthtree colleagues to ensure you keep moving priorities and project deliverables forward.
- Bachelor or Masters in Accounting or Finance or related degrees.
- 5 – 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with procurement and asset management.
- Expertise in use of accounting softwares. Expert Technical knowledge on Microsoft Office and ERP (SAP, Salesforce, Hyperion, BPC, Workday, etc)
- Strong knowledge of corporate finance and other accounting theory, principles and practices to include GAAP, SaaS accounting, prepaid expenses & accrued revenue.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work with complex data sets.
- Ability to analyse information, identify gaps in information and frame the resulting at risk dependencies, into an options analysis briefing for management, that provides enough analytical information about the budgetary and management options, to enable Business Managers and
- Directors to make a management decision to overcome the challenge identified in your analysis.
- Comfort in the startup environment, and able to create structure and foundational accounting processes.
- Strong priority and time management skills.
- Proven experience leading, managing and hiring a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
- Result-oriented work approach with the ability to work quickly from concept creation to the implementation of project programs.
- Experience as Manager Finance in a multicultural / international large organisation.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Training or similar experience.
- Experience scaling a finance team from inception to $10 million+ in annual revenues.
- Experience working with different business units.
- Experience of working internationally in varied cultures and countries, or in different regions of Kenya.
- Experience of communicating to a diverse range of audiences.
- Knowledge of budgeting, bookkeeping and reporting.
- Experience designing and presenting ideas, plans, processes, metrics, and information in a clear and comprehensible manner.
- Ability to remain calm and focused in stressful or complex situations.
Working at Earthtree
- This role is full-time with flexible hours.
- Join a fast growing business with a great opportunity to quickly grow your career.
- Join the office in Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County, Kenya and help us positively impact climate, biodiversity and communities in Kenya and globally.
- We support some remote work but are moving to about half time in offices to encourage in-person collaboration and teamwork.
- We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability. We ensure every applicant gets an equal chance of success.
- Learning and development: We are on a constant learning journey and you will receive an annual learning and development budget to help you with this.
- Paid time off
- Hybrid work policy.
- Relocation package available from anywhere globally.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.