RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI is currently seeking to fill a vacancy for the Kenya Crops & Dairy Market Systems (KCDMS) Activity which is part of the Feed the Future program, America’s initiative to combat global hunger and poverty. In this regard, USAID is partnering with RTI International on a 5-year (Oct 2017 to Sept 2022) cooperative agreement - KCDMS Activity - to help increase agricultural production and reduce poverty and malnutrition in Kenya. The project will also spur competitive, resilient market systems in Kenya’s horticulture and dairy sectors. We seek to recruit a Grants Coordinator to be based in the Kisumu office.
Job Summary: The Grants Coordinator is responsible for the management of the KCDMS Grant Program in 12 counties of operations in Kenya. S/he will develop Request for Application (RFA) packages and manage the competitive selection process; Provide guidance and training to grantees; Perform pre-award surveys of potential grantees to assess financial, program, and organizational capabilities; Maintain grants information management system; Reconcile financial and technical reports; Conduct monitoring visits; and ensure all grants are closed out appropriately.
- Support in the various stages of the competitive selection process of grantees until completion.
- Carry out pre-award assessments for prospective grantees to assess financial, program, and organizational capabilities.
- Work with selected grantees to ensure budgets are in line with programmatic, cost and KCDMS project priorities.
- Prepare grant award documents for approval, this will include: grant agreements, budgets and negotiation memorandums
- Prepare cash requests for all grants ensuring amounts requested are reasonable and within approved budgets.
- Review financial reports from grantees to ensure financial compliance against approved grant budgets.
- Conduct regular disbursements and expenditure reconciliations with Finance Office to ensure grant and finance records are up to date.
- Conduct site visits and giving feedback to grantees as appropriate on areas that requires improvement in their systems and procedures.
- Track on a regular basis all questioned and disallowed costs and follow-up on resolution of the same.
- Identify grantee financial training needs and provide technical assistance where needed and assist in developing training materials and resources for RTI International.
- Maintain and update hard copy grant and work process files. The files should be clearly labelled and organized for ease of reference.
- Maintain the Concept note and business proposal (CNBP) tracker.
- Ensure that all project advances and commitments are liquidated, and outstanding advances cleared for all grants.
- Prepare relevant close-out documents for approval by the Grants Manager to include, close-out checklist, letters and modifications to de-obligate residual funds where applicable.
- Work with the grantees to ensure that all inventory/disposition documentation or in-kind acknowledgement forms are obtained on close-out of all grants as applicable.
- Ensure grantees submit final project reports and documents.
- Other duties as assigned by the Grants manager.
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation, learning, and reporting and provide technical oversight and support all data tracking by the in M&E staff of the sub-grantees with particular attention to Grants Management
- Contribute to Social Inclusion activities in line with Grants Management.
Any other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in commerce/ Business management and 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Qualifications and/or experience in financial management and grants management.
- Professional experience in Grant Management, preferably with USAID.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
The holder of this position will be accountable to the Senior Grants Manager. He/ she will be expected to have oversight responsibility of all grantees under his/her portfolio ensuring that RTI/KCDMS standard grant processes are adhered to.
RTI does not permit any payment requests demanded during any part of the hiring process. If such requests are made, please report it to the RTI Ethics Office via HRethics@rti.org. Any candidate making any payment will be disqualified from consideration for future employment with RTI.