Job location: Nakuru, Eldoret- Kenya
Job Opening : 17th Nov 2020
Application Deadline : Open
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing asset and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers and consumer finance to qualified existing customers.
It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit, and has financed over 30,000 customers.
About this Role:
Tugende’s mission is: ‘ Helping people help themselves’. The Tugende Field Technician is a thorough professional with a practical mind and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be required to work autonomously and responsibly by conducting asset pre-delivery inspections, delivery coordination, installations, testing, repairs and maintenance of all Tugende assets. The role will be based in Kenya, with occasional travels to Uganda.
Key duties to be performed:
The job holder will perform the following duties:
● Complete the procurement process by signing off the pre-delivery inspection notes and managing the inventory.
● Accurately conduct a pre-delivery inspection on all received assets and ensure all necessary maintenance is reported before delivery.
● Coordinate delivery of assets (including loading, paying the delivery agents, offloading, monitoring and reporting any damages) from the supplier to the Tugende branch.
● Accurately capture all-new asset details into the system, before disbursement.
● Read and interpret equipment manuals and repair orders / instructions to perform required maintenance and service.
● Manage all installations, repairs, maintenance and testing of assets before disbursement.
● Provide technical, maintenance services and customer support during field visits or dispatches of assets.
● Document, share and make recommendations on the status of company assets with relevant members of the operations team based on fieldwork discoveries.
● Produce accurate, timely and detailed service reports to the Branch .
● Perform any other technical related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Prefered skills, knowledge & abilities
● Technical experience with motorcycles and cars assembly and repair
● Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
● Ability to interpret & understand technical diagrams and manuals
● Ability to work flexible shifts and to adapt to changing work schedules
● Familiarity with mobile tools and applications
● Knowledge of health and safety issues related to motorcycle use, including electrical, mechanical and chemical risks
● Motorcycle riding proficiency with the willingness to quickly develop into expert status
● Strong problem-solving skills
● A minimum of a diploma in; Electrical / Mechanical / Automobile Engineering, or Motor Vehicle mechanics, obtained from a certified and recognised institution of learning.
● Should have a valid riding's licence.
● At least 1-year of work experience as a mechanic or electrician with a reputable organisation or institute.
● Superb technical skills to diagnose and determine the best technical solutions from non-technical descriptions.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant potential to grow as the company and Operations function grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior Field Technician, Field Technician Team Leader, Field Technician Coordinator with a possibility of crossing to other operations functions.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join us!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~450 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as events for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and what you see on the back of a motorcycle taxi.
Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow , 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow , 2016 GSBI Fellow , a nd received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion startups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian , BBC , Economist .
As part of our regional expansion in East African, Kenya is now operational! Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.