Hand in Hand Eastern Africa is implementing Project DIGITISE: Driving Innovation, Growth and Income through Invigorating Small Enterprise in Nairobi. The project is aimed at supporting microenterprises across various sectors to enhance their profitability, growth, and resilience through a comprehensive suite of business training, mentorship and coaching activities.
- Minimum Qualification: Unspecified
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Reference Number: HIHEA/01-2024/OP
Location of project: Nairobi
Type of contract: Consultancy
Period of implementation: 30 days
Type of Selection – Firm Only
Start date: 19th Feb 2024
Introduction of the organization
Hand in Hand Eastern Africa (HiH EA) is a registered NGO in Kenya and Tanzania and is part of the Hand in Hand global network. The organization started operations in Kenya in October 2010 and is currently operating with 25 Field offices serving 33 out of 47 Counties in Kenya. HiH EA has so far mobilized, trained and has under training, over 350,000 members (80% women, 40% youth) who have created over 330,000 enterprises (30% eco-enterprises) and over 450,000 jobs on the Kenyan programme. Hand in Hand Eastern Africa –Tanzania (HiH EA-TZ) began operations in January 2018 and is currently operating with two branch offices serving two regions in northern Tanzania. So far, HiH EA-TZ has mobilized over 29,000 members (83% women) who have either been trained or are still under training, and who have created over 20,000 enterprises and over 27,000 jobs.
• Hand in Hand Eastern Africa is implementing Project DIGITISE: Driving Innovation, Growth and Income through Invigorating Small Enterprise in Nairobi. The project is aimed at supporting microenterprises across various sectors to enhance their profitability, growth, and resilience through a comprehensive suite of business training, mentorship and coaching activities.
• We believe that the integration of digital applications into microenterprise operations has significant potential to boost profitability, growth and resilience. The solutions will enable enterprises to be more efficient and competitive along their value chain.
• Specifically, we believe that digital applications can increase use and reliability of enterprises records, enable more efficient management of daily operations and logistics , and connect micro entrepreneurs to input and service providers.
• To this end, we are seeking a qualified consultant to assess and recommend suitable digital solutions options for the microenterprises we support. The micro enterprises are spread across sectors mainly- agriculture, micro manufacturing, waste management, retail and service.
Objectives of the Assessment
The primary objectives of this consultancy are as follows:
a) Conduct a thorough desk review of different digital applications to assess their suitability for micro entrepreneurs across various sub-sectors, such as per-urban farming and tailoring.
b) Identify and recommend the most effective digital applications that would be most beneficial to the entrepreneurs we are currently supporting.
c) Identify the barriers that our target enterprises face when trying to use digital applications in their businesses
d) Recommend actionable steps and strategies that our organization can take to overcome these barriers and facilitate the adoption of digital applications among microenterprises.
e) Examine and document how our members are currently utilizing digital applications in their businesses.
Role of the Consultant
The consultant firm will be expected to carry out the following tasks as part of this assignment:
1. Desk Review: Conduct a comprehensive desk review of available digital applications, taking into account their features, cost, scalability, and compatibility with various sub-sectors of microenterprises.
2. Needs Assessment: Engage with micro entrepreneurs and relevant stakeholders to understand their specific needs and challenges when it comes to adopting digital applications.
3. Recommendations: Based on the desk review and needs assessment, provide a detailed report with clear recommendations on which digital applications should be prioritized for our micro entrepreneurs.
4. Barrier Analysis: Identify barriers to the adoption of digital applications, such as cost, digital literacy, or infrastructure limitations, and propose strategies to overcome these obstacles.
5. Current Usage Assessment: Gather data on how micro entrepreneurs currently use digital applications in their businesses, including success stories and challenges faced.
The Sectors: -subsectors of study include:
1. Agriculture - Dairy, poultry & mixed livestock farming
2. Food - Hotel, green grocery & butchery
3. Manufacturing - Soaps & detergents, handcrafts & peanut
4. Artisan - Arts, weaving & bead work
5. Service - Salon & tailoring
6. Retail - Malimali, general Shops & Clothes (New & Second Hand)
The consultant firm is expected to deliver the following:
• A comprehensive report on the desk review of digital applications; together with a simplified database of the same, categorizing them based on their open-source status
• A detailed recommendation on the most suitable digital applications for microenterprises in DIGITISE sub sectors, highlighting the development agencies promoting them.
• A report outlining barriers to digital application adoption by micro enterprises and strategies to address these barriers.
• A report on how micro entrepreneurs are currently utilizing digital applications in their businesses.
• A presentation of findings to our project team.
HiH EA requests consultant firms to submit proposals to respond to this TOR as outlined above. We expect the consultancy firm to demonstrate the skills and experience outlined below (or equivalent):
• Proven experience in conducting assessments and evaluations related to digital applications in business contexts.
• Strong knowledge of the digital tools and applications available for microenterprises.
• Familiarity with the Kenyan business environment, particularly microenterprises.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in developing, monitoring and design of MSMES Digitalization initiatives
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
• The evaluation must conform to International ethical guidelines for research and evaluations.
• The selected evaluation firm will be responsible for safeguarding and ensuring ethics at all stages of the evaluation process.
• The evaluation firm will be responsible for managing any potential ethical risks and issues and must put in place processes and systems to identify, report and resolve any ethical issues that might arise during the implementation of the evaluation.
Anti-Corruption and Safeguarding
• Hand in Hand Eastern Africa strives to fight corrupt practices within its operations and the same is expected of its vendors, contractors and service providers.
• HiH EA staff are therefore prohibited from accepting any gift/s, consideration or benefit/s of any kind which may constitute illegal or corrupt practices, either directly or indirectly, as an inducement or reward for the award of a contract.
• HiH EA and all its employees undertake to create a safe environment for our members and to prevent any form of exploitation or abuse.
• HiH EA is committed to act in the best interest of its members and any willing vendor, contractor or service provider is required to commit and comply with our position on safeguarding.
Submission of proposals
The consultants firm are invited to submit proposals tailored to the outlined requirements, comprising of a technical proposal, financial proposal in Kenyan Shillings with clear costs, methodology plan, work plan, evidence of previous similar work and CVs for the suggested team. Deadline for submission of proposals is 6th February, 2024. These should be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the reference number as the email subject.
For more information about Hand in Hand Eastern Africa, please visit: https://handinhand-ea.org/
HIH EA does NOT condone any form of corrupt practices. Please report complaints via toll free number 0800721347
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.