A cover letter is like a sales pitch! This is what summarizes all your skills, experience and capabilities for the job you are applying for. It gives you the opportunity to tell a story. It should be brief and straight to the point. Most candidates will make the mistake of copy pasting the same cover letter in all the jobs applied for! This is a huge mistake and it’s where most candidates go wrong. Remember each job has a unique job description which varies to fit what the employer is looking for. A cover letter adds focus to your resume.
This is why a cover letter is necessary
- A cover letter allows you to target the job and the employer in a very specific way. This is why you should never re use the same cover letter over and over again! Always and always ready and understand the job that you are applying for and this is what will guide you to writing a cover letter
- A cover letter is a tool for you as a candidate to tell the employer what you find attractive in the job that matches your skills and why you want to work for them. It should not be a copy paste of your resume. It’s what makes you stand out from the crowd.
- Use a cover letter as a teaser. What does this mean? This means that you should engage the employer in the cover letter to make them want to know more about you!
- A cover letter gives you the opportunity to present your opportunities and accomplishments which is a good practice for job-search strategy.
- The goal of the cover letter is to land you the interview so always write it with this in mind
Employers dislike long paragraphs so ensure that you follow the following principles to writing a great cover letter!
- Be brief
- Identify yourself
- Exhibit your passion
- Sell your qualifications
- Make it easy to read.