Assistant Technician_Kenya (based in Migori, Homabay, and Kisumu)
Trees for the Future
Engineering & Technology
Relevant University Degree in the field of Agriculture, Agroforestry, and Natural Resource Management is an added advantage.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use, empowering them to build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. Around the world, modern and industrialized farming practices are destroying the environment—and, at the same time, failing to provide reliable income and nourishment for the farmers we all depend on to survive. At TREES, we recognize that unsustainable land use is the root cause of our most pressing challenges. We confront these challenges by serving the people at the heart of our global food systems: farmers and their families. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on, immersive education, skill building, and support, encouraging farmers to work with nature, not against it. Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of fast-growing, ecologically appropriate trees and dozens of other crops, creating new possibilities for themselves and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org
About the Opportunity
The Assistant Technician (AT) will be responsible for aiding the successful management and implementation of a Forest Garden Project with approximately 250-600 farmers and will report to a Lead Technician and will be based in Homabay, Migori, and Kisumu.
In this role, you will…
- Identify and mobilize Farmer Groups and Lead Farmers for participation in the Project in accordance with TREES guidelines and the Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) process and ensure farmers understand and sign carbon contracts.
- Sensitize farmers on farmer contracts, administer farmer contracts, and monitor and report implementation.
- Collaborate with the Lead Technician to inform project plans for all participating Farmer Groups that account for all Project activities, material acquisition, and distribution, training events, monitoring & evaluation, and reporting.
- Conduct training, extension, and M&E activities in accordance with the schedule and Project budget.
- Update and maintain farmer records through TREES Taroworks App.
- Prepare and execute training events pursuant to the TREES training program design.
- Communicate with Lead Farmers and participating farmers regularly to organize and accomplish training and extension activities.
- Mentor participants and Lead Farmers, through training and providing technical support and follow-up on farmer take-home activities including forest garden design, composting, IPM, nursery development, out-planting, permagardening, seed savings, pruning, etc.
- Ensure timely data collection and report submission, including the Monthly Reporting Form (MRF) to the Lead Technician on all projects. activities, per TREES, reporting requirements, and deadlines.
- Assists with the development and/or translation of locally appropriate training materials.
- Provide information and accomplish additional tasks in a timely manner as requested by the Lead Technician, Technician Supervisor, Country Director, and HQ
- Any other responsibility may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
You’ll be a great fit if you have...
The following minimum professional qualifications,
- Diploma in the relevant field of agroforestry, forestry or agriculture.
- Relevant University Degree in the field of Agriculture, Agroforestry, and Natural Resource Management is an added advantage.
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated degree of achievement in agriculture, preferably in agroforestry and sustainable agriculture.
- Demonstrated experience with participatory training facilitation.
- Able to be stationed in the appropriate base of the Project site for the duration of the Project.
- A valid motorcycle license with experience in riding both on and off-road and a history of safe motorcycle operation.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and preferably the local language(s)
- Ability to navigate smartphone applications.
- Ability to study and pass the Forest Gardening Training Examination within 2 months of hire.
- Knowledge of Nature-Based Solutions and Carbon credits (preferred)
- A deep passion for our mission and line of work
- A strong belief in a positive culture, in alignment with our core values
Ready to Join Our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply Here.
TREES is an equal opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terms of Employment
Employment in this position will be on one (1) year renewable contract (with three months’ probation period) subject to the availability of funds and the continued existence of the position.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured