The Facilities & Safety Manager (Kenya) plays a lead role in the management, upkeep, safety and security of all campus-wide structures, furnishings and other assets, including grounds and motor vehicles
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Job Description: Facilities & Safety Manager (Kenya)
LOCATION: Kenya Office – Njabini
DEPARTMENT: Kenya Operations
OFFICE HOURS: Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Saturday From 8:00 a.m until 1:30 p.m
POSITION STATUS: Management Level
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Operations & Director of Programs (Kenya)
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Facilities & Safety Manager (Kenya) plays a lead role in the management, upkeep, safety and security of all campus-wide structures, furnishings and other assets, including grounds and motor vehicles. Duties are fulfilled using his or her experience and expertise in engineering, construction, maintenance and repairs, in promoting safety standards, asset management and managing building and construction of WASH projects within Flying Kites School of Network..
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: “Essential duties” are those that an individual must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation or additional staffing support.
1. Ensures all campus structures, grounds, facilities, furnishings and motor vehicles are managed and maintained to the highest standards for safety and security.
2. Ensures all structures, grounds, facilities, furnishings and vehicles are in compliance with all applicable laws, licensing requirements and regulations; responsible for preparing and processing required documentation and following procedures to ensure such compliance.
3. Establishes protocols and carries out preventative maintenance procedures to ensure adequate upkeep and minimize risk.
4. Maintains accurate maintenance and repair logs, including blueprints, engineer reports, notes, and photos.
5. Liaises with and oversees performance of outsourced Security companies, including management of on-site personnel as required.
6. Collaborates with the Programs Team on the design, development, and execution of programmatic activities involving WASH, as well as any activities that involve construction or refurbishment of structures.
7. Collaborates with Finance and Procurement colleagues on the budgeting, planning, and procurement of all facility-related equipment, tools, and services consistent with organizational policies.
8. Responsible for appropriate asset management, storage, and tracking of furnishings (including tools and equipment); maintains accurate and up-to-date records of all such assets.
9. Prepares and carries out regular building and equipment maintenance schedules; prepares written reports and immediately highlights potential risks to leadership.
10. Serves as primary liaison with construction teams, consulting engineers, and other services persons engaged by the organization to address and resolve identified issues; follows established procedures for the selection of such vendors and consultants, including the initial drafting and/or review of contracts.
11. Regularly tests building safety and security systems and prepares for emergencies by collaborating with the Operations Manager on action plans and safety procedures to ensure the safety and security of the campus.
12. Coordinates and liaises with supply vendors and service providers consistent with procurement policies.
13. Directly manages the grounds and cleaning teams in close collaboration with the Head of School and Operations Manager.
14. Collaborates with leadership to support special projects.
15. Promotes maturity, professionalism and effective practices and works as a team member.
16. Serves as a role model for all students and participants in the organization’s programs.
Education and Work Experience:
● Degree, diploma and/or significant vocational experience in engineering or construction fields
● 5+ years experience in a facilities-focused, managerial level role, preferably at a Not for Profit Organisation or educational institution
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Fluency in English and Swahili.
● Advanced knowledge in construction project management, including structural engineering
● Well-developed and mature professional interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with partners and colleagues at all organizational levels.
● Ability to think critically and manage change in support of strategic growth.
● Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary for effective management in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
● Organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, and successfully meet multiple deadlines.
● Knowledge and proficiency in computer applications, including spreadsheet software and operation
● Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with appropriate discretion.
● Ability to review the work of others and provide feedback to ensure compliance and accuracy.
● Ability to respond quickly and maintain composure during situations that impact the safety and security of children.
● Ability to exercise judgment and discretion when making independent decisions.
● An incident-free Children’s Check and National Police Check (Certificate of Good Conduct) is a strict condition of employment and must be provided at time of hire and updated on request, consistent with the organization’s risk management procedures.
● Consistent with the management level of this position, some weekend and after-hours work is expected and required to meet organizational priorities.
● Occasional travel may be required.
● Additional responsibilities may be assigned to support coverage for management-level and other colleagues who are absent, on holiday or personal leave.
● All Kenya-based positions are based in the Njabini office and subject to occasional interruptions in power and/or Internet access.
● A significant (8 hour) time difference is acknowledged and generally accommodated for scheduled and unscheduled communications with US-based colleagues and leadership.
● All of our programs and objectives serve children from preschool through young adults. Our workplace is thus regularly accessed and impacted by children.
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all-inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary at the discretion of the organizational leadership.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.