Background Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a âleave no one behindâ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories. UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN Common Country Analysis (CCA) 2021 clearly showed that the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) will continue to be a priority focus for the UN Sustainable Cooperation Framework (2022-2026) to successfully push for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Kenya and leave no one behind. UN Kenya is cognizant of the development challenges in the ASALs and is convinced that Delivering as One (DAO) is essential to accelerate achievement of the SDGs, with a particular focus on leaving no one behind. Aside from this, the UN is convinced that thereâs need for coordination of development interventions by the various development partners in these regions ensuring that linkages with communities are created for ownership, sustainability and addressing the structural socio-economic issues.Â Reaching the SDGs in Kenya is dependent largely on transforming lives and livelihoods of people living in the ASALs. A community centric approach to coordination at the UN level, international community as well as governments in the specific areas will contribute to the sustainable livelihoods in the ASALs.Â
These reasons informed Turkana County government and UN Kenya in 2015 to create the UN DAO Office in Lodwar to accelerate area-based development by promoting joint area-based integrated programming and coordination of all stakeholders. Based on the priorities identified in the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF 2022-2026) and after a thorough internal review and analysis of UN Delivering as One Office in Lodwar, the UNCT recommended a lighter model of coordination in the form of secondments to selected ASAL counties namely, Garissa, Marsabit and Turkana - each covering a cluster of counties. Garissa (covers Garissa, Wajir & Mandera counties), Marsabit (covers Marsabit, Isiolo and Samburu counties) and Turkana (covers Turkana, Pokot and Baringo) to facilitate effective coordination of development at the county levels.Â
UN Kenya wishes to recruit a Project ManagerÂ to facilitate coordination between County Government, UN Agencies and other development partners, facilitating efficient, effective programme delivery and increased accountability to all the stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Facilitate Strategic Direction of UN Programme in the ASAL Counties Focusing on Achievement of the Following Results:Facilitate strengthening of county capacities on the integrated planning through close collaboration and access to an array of expertise drawn from across the UN and linking it to the realization of the UNSDCF Kenya 2022-2026; Together with County Secretaryâs office or designated County Department support coordination for the implementation of development programmes;Â Support UN agencies to formulate and develop county specific integrated and SDG responsive workplans based on the UNSDCF; Work with humanitarian entities and ensure focus on the humanitarian, peace and development nexus; Provide administrative and substantive support at the County level for coordination of consultative and other meetings, and conferences, ensuring inclusive participation, preparing background documents, and presentations, and support logistical arrangements.Â
2. Assist Effective Coordination of UN programmes under the UNSDCF in the Counties.Help the counties to map existing programme/support and identify opportunities where UN can add value under the UNSDCF: Support a neutral (not agency driven) One UN coordination and facilitation to assist the whole of UN Kenya at devolved level while respecting UN agencies individual mandates:Â Facilitate coordination and information sharing among the different UN - County working groups for joint initiatives and support the inter-agency working group coordination.Â
3. Building Strategic Partnerships and Knowledge management.Support building of relationships for the whole of UN Kenya with the County Government,Â development partners and other stakeholders, thereby contributing to reducing transaction costs and duplications; Support effective joint communication, reporting of results and partnerships for all UN Agencies to demonstrate evidence for investments made by UN and other development partners in the ASALs.
4. Effective monitoring of UN programmes at the counties.Support planning and undertaking of joint UN field monitoring missions and organizing joint reviews and evaluations as applicable; Preparation of integrated quarterly updates and annual report to UNCT through RCO; Provide technical support and work closely with other UN colleagues from different agencies, funds and programmes in the formulation and implementation of joint programmes and individual activities under UNSDCF; Support evaluation of programmes at the end of the programming cycle.
5. The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
The Project Manager will be based at the County GovernmentÂ works under the general supervision of Head of UN Resident Coordinatorâs office and collaborates closely with the Peace and Development Advisor.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Strategic Thinking:Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDPâs objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions. Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
System Thinking:Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
KnowledgeÂ Facilitation:Ability to animate individuals and communities ofÂ contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
ProjectÂ Management:Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Communication:Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on theÂ audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
Relationship Management:Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding.>
Required Skills and Experience Education: Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Development Studies, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, or related field is required A first-level university degree (bachelorâs degree) in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree. Experience: Minimum 5 years (with masterâs degree) or 7 years (with bachelorâs degree) of progressively responsible relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in coordination of development projects; Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and web-based management systems, and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;Â Knowledge and experience of working in the Arid & Semi Arid Lands (ASALs). Experience in working, liaising, and collaborating with UN agencies,Â governments, NGOs, civil society organizations, and public internationalÂ organizations is an asset.
Required Language(s):ÂFluency in English and Kiswahili.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements. Non-discrimination UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status. Scam warning The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.