REPORTS TO: Managing Director
SUPERVISES: Sound engineer, Animator, Videographer, Graphic designers and illustrators
1. Purpose of the Position:
To lead Storymoja’s creative department, oversee all branding (look and feel) and design books, digital content, and marketing campaigns to help ensure business targets are met thus bringing us closer to achieving our vision of getting a book in every hand.
2. Key responsibilities include both digital and print content development:
1. Conceive and implement concepts, guidelines and strategies in various creative projects and oversee them to completion. Lead or participate in brainstorming sessions to generate ideas. Input on Storymoja business strategies.
2. Working closely with the marketing and editorial departments, provide creative direction and production input and lead a team of Sound engineer, Animator, videographer, Graphic designers and illustrators (and other freelancer subcontractors where applicable)to:
a. Design different house brand guidelines and standardize overall look and feel
b. Generate creative concepts, creatively interpret marketing briefs,
c. Produce high quality audio books, films, videos, video ads, ads, illustrations and book designs; book trailers, video ads, videos, audio books, animations, e-learning resources etc.
d. Develop creative concepts in response to sales & marketing briefs. or
e. Write and design unique and well-crafted copy/text that meets clients’ needs as well as our own.
f. Ensure that photographs and illustrations used are approved in writing before application in the books or any other materials being developed.
g. Illustrate, design and make books ready to print in a timely manner and in a way that maximizes quality and minimizes printing cost.
h. Develop the different house brand ID guidelines including standards/manuals/ for book series bearing in mind cost effective sizes, pages and paper, competition and consumer/shelf impact.
i. Lead digitization (all formats) of all Storymoja books in line with market requirements by various vendors.
3. Provide accurate print specifications to the relevant team/s to source competitive quotations for printing.
4. Sign off final artworks before submission for print or upload.
5. Ensure only the latest version of every book and advertising material is securely saved.
6. Liaise with chosen printer, check and approve print proofs to ensure resulting books meet specifications and deadlines in order to deliver anticipated impact.
7. Work closely with the team to institutionalize production systems. Seek buy-in and enforce usage of in-house design manuals for all Storymoja brands.
8. Continuously train/retrain the design team (and illustrators) to effectively interpret briefs and consistently deliver high quality work in a timely manner.
9. Interview and recommend design subcontractors for prequalification. Creatively manage and grow vibrant pool of freelancers by communicating clearly, persuasively and effectively managing their expectations.
10. Supervise the department's daily workflow, assign project workload, and manage deadlines and budgets.
11. Compile and submit timely departmental reports. Keep track of the latest trends in design/illustration and respond/share relevant information.
12. Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned to you by your supervisor and are related to the achievement of Storymoja’s mission and vision.
3. 2021 Key priorities
1. Build and maintain a highly motivated and productive team.
2. Develop the different house brand ID guidelines
3. Deliver high quality designs/illustrations and timely layouts for books bearing in mind guidelines and deadlines so that the editorial team can deliver their 2021 departmental targets.
4. Create compelling content for the sales & marketing team to effectively run the six main 2021 campaigns
5. Create e content as per targets to be agreed including audio books, interactive books etc.
6. Creatively respond to the quality control audit with a view to improve the overall quality of illustrations to make the books more competitive in the market.
4. Limits of authority
1. Issue final sign off for all design elements for books and other materials for both internal and/or external use
a. Approve the final artwork for books and other materials to be sent to duly contract local and international printers.
b. Approve all internal requests for artworks e.g. design for the e-store and social media marketing.
2. Approve departmental requisitions/ expenditures as per approved budgets. You can also sign off over expenditure of up to Kshs 10,000 per month as you long as you notify your supervisor asap and ensure paperwork is properly lodged.
3. Issue a first oral/verbal warning to any departmental staff member. The second warning is issued in consultation with your supervisor.
4. Approve sick off, time compensation and leave requests for all departmental staff.
1. Highly creative and strategic thinker with proven experience as a senior creative with hands-on experience in creative process, marketing, copy, graphic design, brand and campaign development.
2. In-depth knowledge of brand development and multichannel marketing models, with proven ability to deliver engaging content that meets or exceeds the expectations of our customers.
3. A minimum of 5 years’ digital content development experience, particularly with, but not limited to web, social and emerging technologies. Excellent working knowledge of software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc.
4. Bachelor’s degree in art, graphic design, marketing, communications, journalism or other relevant fields.
5. Must have excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
6. Must possess excellent leadership qualities, able to inspire and maximize the talents of their team.
Apply via "Apply Now Button".
By sending in:
1. A cover letter
2. A CV with 3 referees
3. Current and expected salary and benefits