CALLING FOOD SAFETY EXPERTS
Expression of Interest
Food Enterprise Solutions (FES) through its USAID Feed the Future – Business Drivers for Food Safety (BD4FS) project anticipates issuing a Scope of Work (SOW) for a consultant or organization/institution to provide on-going technical assistance and guidance on food safety among perishable food products (e.g., seafood, fruits and vegetables, and animal-sourced foods). BD4FS is working with growing food businesses (GFBs) to support the adoption of safer food handling and management practices in order to reduce the risk of contamination by food borne pathogens. Towards this end, FES seeks a consultant or organization/institution to work closely with the BD4FS team to provide timely advice and guidance on anticipated food safety program activities to ensure that they are science-based, feasible, and in accordance with Government of Kenya’s food safety rules and regulation and international standards.
- Accredited University degree in appropriate academic endeavor such as Food, veterinarian, environmental or biological sciences;
- 10 years of experience in working on food safety issues, may have HAACP, BRC, GAP, etc. certification(s);
- Demonstrated familiarity with the Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, (East Africa) food safety environment and private sector food businesses.
- Strong writing and communication skills; and
- English is required.
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- French speaking ability;
- Food Logistics or supply chain familiarity
Duties and Responsibility:
- Provide and interface for state and local regulatory agencies in regards to food safety concerns.
- Oversee regulations and implement same on all monitoring systems and evaluate it on regular basis to ensure compliance with law.
- Coordinate with product management and sourcing and provide effective solution to all management problems.
- Establish good professional relationship with learning and development team through various partnerships to improve storage condition.
- Provide reports to management as required and investigate Health Code issues and any violation of rules.
- Develop plans, execute and assist proper growth oriented programs for enhancement of higher standards to ensure quality for business transaction.
- Attend various training programs in relation with product research and develop knowledge of better food systems.
- Develop and maintain effective relationship with employees and upgrade as per requirement.
- Develop and maintain archive of policies, processes and training records to ensure better food systems to all clients.
- Coordinate with various departments and participate into task of issuance policies.
- Maintain all product safety programs and perform regular audit on both indoor and outdoor campaigns.
- Analyze and provide upgrade, modification and benefits to people by safe storage of food and soft drinks.
- Monitor various auditing program for effective supply and proper implantation.
- Determine regulatory compliance with up gradation in facility to enhance quality of food and beverage products.
- Coordinate with supply chain partners to assist in food system improvement and innovation.
Interested professionals and/or institutions should send the following documentation:
- Cover letter with phone number and email address outlining relevant experience to the anticipated SOW;
- One (1) paragraph summary of proposed approach; and
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of Academic Certificates and Degree
- Salary requirement.
Only short-listed applicants will be invited to respond to the SOW.
Please submit a response by April 30, 2021 with your organization and “BD4FS Food Safety Expert” in the subject line.