Lead Technician Kenya (based in Migori, Homabay, and Kisumu)
Trees for the Future
Engineering & Technology
Diploma in the relevant field of agroforestry, forestry or agriculture.
- Minimum Qualification:Diploma
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use, empowering them to build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. Around the world, modern and industrialized farming practices are destroying the environment—and, at the same time, failing to provide reliable income and nourishment for the farmers we all depend on to survive. At TREES, we recognize that unsustainable land use is the root cause of our most pressing challenges. We confront these challenges by serving the people at the heart of our global food systems: farmers and their families. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on, immersive education, skill building, and support, encouraging farmers to work with nature, not against it. Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of fast-growing, ecologically appropriate trees and dozens of other crops, creating new possibilities for themselves and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org
About the Opportunity
The Lead Technician, in close collaboration with the Technician Supervisor, will work directly with the Assistant Technician, farmer groups, and farmers to train and provide technical extension support on climate-smart agriculture, conduct M&E activities, and ensure timely distribution of seeds and materials, to ensure the successful execution of this project to the required standards. The role will report to the Technician supervisor and network effectively. The position will be based in Migori, Homabay, and Kisumu.
In this role, you will…
- Sensitize lead farmers and other stakeholders on the contents of the farmer contracts, engage lead farmers to have all contracts signed by individual farmers, and report on the implementation progress.
- Identify and mobilize Farmer Groups and Lead Farmers for participation in the Project in accordance with TREES guidelines and the Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) process and ensure farmers understand and sign carbon contracts.
- Supervise and disseminate all necessary information in a timely manner to the Assistant Technician(s) where needed.
- Collaborate with the Technician Supervisor to Develop project work plans for all participating Farmer Groups that account for all Project activities, material acquisition and distribution, training events, monitoring & evaluation, and reporting.
- Manage all training, extension, and M&E activities in accordance with the schedule and Project budget.
- Updates and maintains farmer records through TREES taroworks App.
- Organizes and executes training events pursuant to TREES training program design.
- Communicates with Lead Farmers and participating farmers regularly to organize and accomplish training and extension activities.
- Mentor participants and Lead Farmers, through training and providing technical support and follow-up on farmer take-home activities including forest garden design, composting, IPM, nursery development, outplanting, permagardening, seed savings, pruning, etc.
- Ensure timely data collection and report submission, including the weekly Technician Reporting Spreadsheet, to Technician Supervisors on all program activities, per TREES reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Maintain financial documentation and submit financial reports per TREES reporting requirements and deadlines to Technician Supervisor.
- Help to develop all Project goals per the project scope, timeline, and budget and conduct activities accordingly.
- Assist with the development and/or translation of locally appropriate training materials.
- Provide information and accomplish additional tasks in a timely manner as requested by Technician Supervisor, Country Director, and HQ.
- Share lessons learned with counterparts in Kenya and other countries of TREES operations to contribute to a culture of learning and cooperation.
- Any other responsibility may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
You’ll be a great fit if you have...
The following minimum professional qualifications,
- Diploma in the relevant field of agroforestry, forestry or agriculture.
- Minimum of three years of demonstrated degree of achievement in agriculture, preferably in agroforestry and sustainable agriculture.
- Demonstrated experience with participatory training facilitation.
- Able to be stationed in the appropriate base of the Project site for the duration of the Project.
- A valid motorcycle license with experience in riding both on and off-road and a history of safe motorcycle operation.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and preferably the local language(s)
- Ability to navigate smartphone applications.
- Ability to study and pass the Forest Gardening Training Examination within 2 months of hire.
- Knowledge of Nature-Based Solutions and Carbon credits (preferred)
- A deep passion for our mission and line of work
- A strong belief in a positive culture, in alignment with our core values
Ready to Join Our Team?
We’re thrilled that you want to change the world with us. Apply Here.
TREES is an equal opportunity employer.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that TREES receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Terms of Employment
Employment in this position will be on one (1) year renewable contract (with three months’ probation period) subject to availability of funds and continued existence of the position.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured