We are looking for someone who believes that no child or community in Kenya should suffer from easily preventable diseases.
If you’re interested in working with ADRA Kenya, we’re more interested in who you are than what you do.
So it’s important to us that you know who we are, and why we do what we do.
We’re a team.
In our business, working in isolation doesn’t cut it. We know it, and you know it. That’s why we’re aspiring to be a cohesive team; who learns and succeeds together – desiring the best for each other and for the work of our organization.
Let’s be upfront about this - we truly believe honesty is the best policy. Across the organization - from the management to our support staff – we make honesty the basis of all interaction. So we encourage everyone to be courageous, freely admit mistakes, and question inconsistencies. And know, that your honesty will be appreciated.
We love what we do.
More than just a job, we never take for granted ADRA Kenya’s mission to profoundly improve the lives of those in need. This changes our perspective on the “Why” of our work and it fundamentally changes us as employees.
It’s cliché but true: we’re driven to be the best and to achieve the best.
We push ourselves to challenge assumptions, to realize the greatest goals and new ideas, and most importantly, never settle for the average. Our desire to simplify, be new, surprising and radically useful is becoming our daily mantra.
If this is who you are, then you’re the person we’re looking for.
WHO WE ARE
At ADRA Kenya we work to change the lives of people in need so profoundly, they are able to help themselves and create positive change around them. The values that define how we go about pursuing our mission are excellence, courage, innovation, honesty and selflessness.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR - Someone who believes that every child has a right to a healthy life.
We are looking for someone who believes that no child or community in Kenya should suffer from easily preventable diseases. Someone who pushes the boundaries of excellence and shows an attitude of selflessness within the team. Someone who is bothered by the fact that so many children in Mandera County suffer from polio.
Position title: Project Manager
Project: Core group polio project
Duty Station: Mandera County
Start date: Immediately
Duration: 1 year
Supervisor: Programs Director
The core croup polio project seeks to build a resistance to polio in border counties through immunizations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Project manager is responsible for spearheading project implementation.
Specific areas of responsibilities include:
- Oversee and manage the project activities implementation per the donor guidelines.
- Partner with the ministry of Health in coordinating and implementing outreach programs and campaigns to target community to ensure they are well informed of the polio project.
- Partner with the ministry of Health in implementing immunization activities in targeted areas including developing the routine and supplemental immunization micro plans.
- Lead sensitization and social mobilization campaign targeting the beneficiary community conducted by community leaders including chiefs, community health workers and religious leaders.
- Coordinate the process of selecting vulnerable beneficiaries to be targeted for AFP surveillance with guidance from the Ministry of health.
- Identify training needs and gaps among community health workers for refresher trainings with guidance from the Ministry of Health.
- Work in close relation with community health workers and community mobilizers to realize implementation of project activities.
- Organize meetings with various stakeholders to chart the project implementation plan and cross border meetings between Somali, Ethiopia and Kenya target communities to come up with mitigation strategies for AFP containment.
- Ensure optimal use of financial and capital resources in the project through timely requisitioning of all necessary supplies for project implementation
- In consultation with the supervisor, manage the budgets components to ensure appropriate and efficient use of resources in the project and area of operation
- Develop and maintain working relationships with key stakeholders, such as community leaders, government officials and Ministry of Health etc.
- Actively seek for opportunities of expanding the project’s activities
- Liaise with beneficiary community, provincial administration and local leaders in the selection of project sites and beneficiaries as per the project design
- Participate in project startup/project closure workshops, baseline survey and end of Project Evaluation for the project as per project design and within the project implementation deadlines
- Prepare project documentation including quarterly and monthly project reports on implementation status, intermediate and final narrative reports as per donor guidelines
- Supervise Project Officer
- Relevant stakeholders are informed, aware of and supportive of the project goals and activities, and ADRA Kenya at large
- Project targets are met within the set timelines
- Community members are mobilized, intimately vested in and actively participating
- Reports delivered on time and in excellent quality
- All project inputs and activities properly documented and accounted for
- Training materials developed
- This position would suit a candidate with a university degree related to health with a minimum of 2 years field experience.
- Experience working in a team, specifically managing other staff, is strongly preferred.
- S/he should have significant experience in field community work, namely in the sector of health, including training.
- S/he should have prior experience in pursuing and maintaining partnerships with relevant stakeholders including donors.
- The successful candidate should possess strong command of written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of local language (Somali) and culture is an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office suite is also required.
The successful candidate should be structured, creative, flexible, and detail-oriented. S/he should have excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. S/he should be a team player with good communications skills.
To APPLY please send to us via email:
- Cover letter – of no more than one A4 page, addressing why you’re the person we’re looking for
- Curriculum Vitae – no more than three A4 pages (including references)
Given how we pursue simplicity and excellence, it is in your own interest to adhere to the limits outlined above.
Closing date for application is January 25, 2017
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early
Thank you for wanting to work with us.