The Quality Manager develops, implements, and manages quality control systems designed to ensure that all production processes and end products meet established standards, customer specifications and production goals. The position ensures timely, compliant, and effective testing of all raw materials, intermediates, and finished products. The incumbent will also oversee the quality laboratory.
Key Duties/ responsibilities
- Develop and lead the implement the Quality Assurance (QA)/Quality Control (QC) management system at all sites to ensure the production and supply of products are within the specified quality parameters
- Participate in planning and establishing short to long term production plans for the company including development and management of the QC budget
- Formulate, document, and maintain quality control standards and on-going quality control objectives. Ensure that these are in line with client specifications and are communicated to the production team.
- Design, develop and implement quality control training programs related to product, quality, and reliability. This includes determining, negotiating, and agreeing on in-house quality procedures, standards and/or specifications.
- Oversee the work of the Quality Analyst in respect to the execution of all the required testing of raw materials, intermediates and finished products and the generation of reports.
- Work with the production to ensure that client quality considerations are given full consideration
- Respond to customer complaints by ensuring they have been investigated and answered satisfactorily
- Develop and analyse statistical data and product specifications to determine standards and to establish quality and reliability expectancy of finished products.
- Ensure QC metrics and product audits are performed and documented daily, meeting and/or exceeding QC standards; collect, track and report metrics to manager and improve performance
- Provide technical and statistical expertise to production teams to maximize product reliability and minimize costs.
- Initiate and evaluate proposed changes in methods or specifications that have the potential to impact the quality of a finished product.
- Identify and record quality issues and initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any non-conformance in the product
- Schedule and conduct regular quality trainings and refresher sessions to the production teams to ensure high quality standards are upheld
- Implement, monitor, and facilitate performance management programs and support staff through measurable KPIs, training, mentorship, and coaching.
- Attend to the KEBS committees meeting
Academic and Professional Qualifications and experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related field
- At least eight (8) years of experience in quality control management in the concrete or construction materials production, mining or a similar industry, three (3) of which must be in a supervisory position.
- Experience in quality control testing and inspection
- Sound knowledge of concrete or construction materials industry facilities requirements, processes, operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge of construction chemicals, concrete design mix and KEBS quality standards
- Technical management background with knowledge of ISO Quality assurance programs and operational aspects of the Concrete Construction industry
Key Skills and Competencies
- Good leadership skills with hands-on capability and management style.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and exposure to analytical quality control methods and equipment.
- Extremely detail-oriented, efficient, able to multi-task, prioritize and follow projects through to completion.
- Results driven with a strong customer service orientation.
- Safety conscious and able to apply methodologies to improve processes.
- Self-starter, high energy level with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity.