Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI) is a State Corporation established in 1986 with obligation to undertake forest research, generate and promote improved technologies for sustainable management, conservation and development of forest and allied natural resources.
JOB DESCRIPTIONS AND PERSON SPECIFICATIONS FOR VACANT POSTS
10. RESEARCH SCIENTIST (ENVIRONMENTAL/ AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS) : KEFRI 7a
a) Duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in the Conceptualization, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluating of R&D projects /programmes /activities;
• Assist in collection and analysis of economic data on forest enterprises and markets using cost benefit analysis, econometric and marketing efficiency tools and procedures on farm household surveys, market value chain surveys, value addition processing, comparative land use/enterprises analysis, technology impact surveys, wealth indices, price analysis, and reviews of statistical data;
• Participate in integration of economics and market research in forestry research and development processes by carrying out cost benefits analysis of technology innovation and competitiveness of proposed technologies on existing forest practices/technologies to gauge research benefits and impacts;
• Contribute to the understanding on the role of land use economics and market studies to enhance technology adoption and socioeconomic impacts of technologies on the livelihoods/environment and human development;
• Participate in the assessment of the role of forest sector in socioeconomic development through monitoring the roles of industry and forest-based enterprises in forest technology adoption and development of models for linking tree growers to various vibrant markets niches in the country/export/imports by undertaking market surveys, national and regional trade in forest and natural products;
• Participate in collecting data and developing tolls for linking the forest sector economics to national accounting leading to improved contribution of forest sector to national accounting.
• Assisting other KEFRI programs in mainstreaming economics to research and project activities
• Assist in developing concepts and proposals for internal and external donor support
• Participate in writing appropriate technical reports including research notes, technical notes, policy briefs, conference posters, dissemination flyers;
• Mentor students on attachment, interns and visitors including High School and Colleges;
• Participating in compiling of departmental quarterly and annual reports; and
• Any other duty as assigned from time to time.
b) Requirements for Appointment
i) Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) minimum aggregate ‘C+’ (C plus) or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
ii) At least an Upper Second Honors in Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry/Agricultural Economics or its equivalent from a recognized Institution;
iii) Should have written at least two (2) technical reports/ papers;
iv) Working experience in the same field is an added advantage;
v) Being a member of a professional body will be an added advantage;
vi) A team player, good in communication and report writing; and
vii) Computer Literacy especially in Excel, SAS, SPSS or relevant economic packages.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.