WORK STATION: FIELD – MACHAKOS COUNTY
REPORTING TO: CHIEF AGRONOMIST
1. Responsible for recruiting farmers mentor and provide technical advice to them. Support capacity development and empowerment approaches.
2. Planning and implementing the crop production programmes and harvest processes.
3. Supervise farm operations such as cultivation, drilling, spraying, fertilising and irrigation.
4. Control the production information and forecasts to meet markets demands and strategic plans.
5. Oversee and manage all produce quality issues and complaints pertaining to field production processes.
6. Manage and take full control of the production process to ensure good quality and markets’ conforming products.
7. Observe full levels of ethical, environmental and Food Safety standards.
8. Understanding of internal audits on various standards like Global Gap and environmental audits.
9. Preparation and facilitation of various farm schedules like audit schedules, field testing, analysis schedules, farmer training schedules.
10. Monitoring and confirming farm planting programmes to meet the commercial requirements.
11. Regular communication with the team and in particular the area agronomists.
12. Support drivers and graders in their operation of produce collection
13. Provide periodical reports to the area agronomist in a timely manner for proper feedback & implementation
LEVEL OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
1. Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Plant Science or Agriculture, or the equivalent thereof, and one - three years of vegetable crop or seed industry related work experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in small holder mobilization and production of diverse crops
3. Excellent written and verbal English & Kiswahili
4. Computer literate
5. Valid driver’s license
1. Knowledgeable in global GAP standards especially for EU market.
2. Ability to work independently and proceed with objectives without close supervision
3. Ability to communicate with the target communities in their local dialect is added advantage.
4. Excellent Project Management skills Ability to perform complex and multiple tasks.
5. Must be able and willing to work for long hours in a rural set-up
6. Honesty and integrity