Assistant Programme Officer – Legal at Refugee Consortium of Kenya
Bachelors degree in Law
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
JOB PURPOSE: To provide legal advice and procedural support to the organization on issues relating to and affecting displaced persons as well as administrative legal matters in an effective and efficient manner.
- Attend to clients at the legal aid clinic and assess cases for intervention.
- Seek access to clients in detention, ascertaining the conditions under which such clients are being detained, and provide them with appropriate legal and other assistance in accordance with RCK policy.
- Prepare legal briefs and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments.
- Provide legal representation to refugees especially unaccompanied and separated minors, GBV survivors in court, in police stations and child protection cases.
- Prepare responses to enquiries on legal issues on laws relating to refugees and other forced migrants from RCK staff, governments, inter-governmental organizations, institutions, and the public.
- Participate in capacity building of RCK’s stakeholders in relation to domestic and international laws that relate to refugees and other forced migrants.
- Develop and maintain a database of and relations with internal /external referral partners.
- Update and manage the client databases.
- Prepare monthly reports and donor related reports within schedule.
- Support the development of proposal for fundraising for program work.
- Assist in coordination and carry out program budgetary and administrative tasks.
- Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required, commensurate with your grade.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate.
- At least one-year experience in civil and criminal litigation.
- Experience working with an NGO/Humanitarian field is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan Legal system and of regional & international instruments on refugees and human rights.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The Job is complex, sensitive and stressful. Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel. Work may require frequent weekend and evening work as well as high degree of autonomy
- Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in relevant fields of counseling, Strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues.
- Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
- Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
- Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Managing Performance: Ability to supervise, coach, mentor and develop junior staff as required
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured