Associate Legal Counsel
One Acre Fund
The Associate General Counsel will form an integral part of the Global Legal Team and work with senior leadership across the organization to manage and address legal risk and provide support for business opportunities and organizational priorities.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:4 years
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 per cent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
The Associate General Counsel will form an integral part of the Global Legal Team and work with senior leadership across the organization to manage legal risk and support business opportunities. We are ready to hand over work responsibilities for our largest program country, Kenya, including managing several exciting projects and subject matter areas. The Associate General Counsel will manage legal matters such as employment and HR issues, police reporting and criminal matters, corporate advisory work on a broad range of topics, management of external counsel, and any other job duties that we may require. You will join a growing team and report to a senior attorney based in Nairobi.
- Advise our Human Resources teams about best practices for HR-related issues
- Support our Internal Investigations Team during and manage reporting to police and state prosecutors
- Liaise with, evaluate, and review the work of external counsel
- Provide advice on regulatory and legal compliance
- Develop internal policies and standard operating procedures to manage risk and ensure the continuity of business
- Assist with any other related general legal tasks to meet departmental needs and organizational priorities
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
Education and Experience
- A degree in law or legal studies from an accredited university
- Active license to practice law in at least one jurisdiction relevant to One Acre Fund
- 5 years minimum full-time professional experience in a full-time legal role, working for a major law firm, international organization or NGO, or as a member of a large company’s in-house legal team
- Excellent legal research and writing skills with an ability to produce written legal advice, opinions, and memoranda
- Plan, designed, and execution of large-scale projects
- The ability to synthesize complex legal topics in language non-legal leaders and staff can understand with ease
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Fluency in written and spoken Swahili
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Nairobi or Kakamega, Kenya
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Only open to citizens or permanent residents of Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Malawi, Zambia, and Burundi.
Women are encouraged to apply!
22 May 2023
Please report any suspicious communication. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity, or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
Get Insured through mTek Services
You can explore medical and personal accident insurance covers conveniently. Compare pricing from various insurance companies, save, and budgetGet Insured