REPORTING TO Chief of Party
PROGRAMME USAID Imarisha Jamii
PHYSICAL DUTY LOCATION Turkana
Amref Health Africa in Kenya will be implementing the USAID Imarisha Jamii program that seeks to provide HIV care and treatment; services to orphans and vulnerable children and adolescents; and services in the areas of Family Planning/Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (FP/RMNCAH) and nutrition. The purpose of the program is to increase the use of quality county -led health and social services in Turkana County, Kenya.
Amref is therefore seeking to recruit competent, experienced and highly skilled Grants and Compliance Manager to drive the program to achieve its objectives and to act as change agents supporting a culture of performance and accountability within the project counties.
The Grants and Compliance Manager (GCM) provides overall technical support in the management of subgrants, facilitate training in program and finance management to sub-grantees, support sub-partners on sub-grant management and assist in reviewing sub-grants agreements. S/he is responsible for ensuring compliance with USAID rules and regulations, and legal and regulatory requirements governing the award.
The GCM oversees the overall compliance in the activity implementation from the development of work plans and budgets, reporting, sub granting, and budget administration.
The GCM oversees the overall compliance in the activity implementation from the development of work plans and budgets, reporting, sub granting, and budget administration as assigned by the COP or his/her designee. S/he will analyze financial reports against donor reporting requirements, tracking grant expenditure on a monthly basis and utilize financial and program data for management decisions.
The GCM is involved in developing and embedding best practices to comply with donor financial rules, supporting donor proposal budgeting, analysis of institutional income, donor contract expenditure tracking, monitoring and providing management information on key risks, contributing to the implementation of improved financial systems and processes to facilitate better donor reporting and compliance.
The incumbent will ensure strict adherence to deadlines and ensure quality standards of reports.
• Ensure grants or contracts are well administered and that program and support teams are fully informed of relevant donor compliance regulations and organizations procedures to support on-track, on-time, and on-budget implementation
• Provide technical support and mentoring to grantees unaccustomed with the complexity and restrictions of USAID funding in an effort to build the capacity of grantees to effectively manage their grants; interface with grantees and vendors to ensure grantee understanding and compliance with all Amref and USAID rules and regulations.
• Review all grant/procurement activities for compliance with program policies and USAID regulations.
• Monitor grant activities during their implementation to ensure on-time and high quality delivery of goods and services; provide continuous assessments of grantee performance against project objectives.
• Support sub-partners on sub-grant management and assist in reviewing sub -grants agreements.
• Involved in developing and embedding best practices to comply with donor f inancial rules.
• Supporting donor proposal budgeting, analysis of institutional income , donor contract expenditure tracking.
• Monitoring and providing management information on key risks
• Contributing to the implementation of improved f inancial systems and processes to facilitate better donor reporting and compliance.
• Coordinate regular grant monitoring, using appropriate grant management tools and through facilitation and support of regular and timely Grant Review, Opening, and Closing Meetings
Preferred Qualification and competencies
• Master’s degree in Business, Procurement, Accounting, Finance, Management, Auditing, Economics or related field
• A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the NGO sector in Senior Grants/Compliance Management positions
• Demonstrated experience being responsible for ensuring that there are systems and internal controls in place to effectively manager, monitor and report on sub-awards, including being responsive to all USAID regulations and requirements
• Prior grants management experience and familiarity with USG (USAID) donor regulations, procedures and requirements;
• Ability to efficiently deal with competing priorities;
• In-depth understanding and experience of working with proposals and contracts from donors.
• Experience of complex planning and budgeting processes including the ability to provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures
• Excellent grant management skills, including the ability to identify challenges and provide or work with teams to propose possible solutions as well as strong negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills.
• Previous experience building capacity of local organizations on PEPFAR/USAID compliance, policies, rules and regulations.
• Experience in developing and mentoring professional relationships with in-country stakeholders, including local and national government, non-governmental partners, and private sector partners.
Interested? Please visit our website www.amref.org to view the full JD. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account successfully in order for you to be able to submit your application. Deadline for submission: 18 October 2021 and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy