The Aga Khan Academies are the only schools in Kenya offering the International Baccalaureate curriculums (IB) who are authorized to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the Diploma Programme (DP). With over 1000 students, the AKAN is a multi-cultural school with a variety of nationalities represented in our student and teaching faculty.
The Aga Khan Academy, Nairobi - Junior School welcomes applications from enthusiastic and professional educators for the following positions for August 2021.
It is the role of the teacher librarian to manage the day-to-day operations of the library. The teacher librarian is also responsible for teaching a library and research based class for the students in grades 1 to 5. Teacher librarians are responsible for all aspects of the planning, preparation and delivery, and evaluating resource based programs for every student in the allocated classes. The Teacher Librarian shall work collaboratively with staff to deliver a supportive and engaging curriculum with inquiry at the centre of teaching and learning.
• Work collaboratively with library staff and classroom teachers in planning, teaching and learning in the PYP.
• Work collaboratively with classroom teachers to ensure information literacy skills and processes are integrated into curriculum based learning experiences.
• Model and encourage 21st Century collaborative learning behaviours, fully utilising available web technologies.
• Maintain a high level of knowledge and interest in new and emerging technologies.
• Support the teachers in maintaining a positive and stimulating learning environment
• Promote and foster a culture of reading for enjoyment.
• Maintain the library as a centre of learning and inquiry for the school.
• Planning the library programme integrated with the overall school curricula.
• Developing a plan to evaluate the library programme in line with the curricula expectations.
Qualifications and Experience
• Degree in Library and Information Science plus a teaching qualification
• Proficiency in current technologies including but not limited to Microsoft Office packages
• 5 years’ experience in a similar position
• TSC Certificate
• Experience of teaching in a School environment
Applicants should send an application letter, CV, copies of their certificates and testimonials demonstrating how their experience fits the position.