Established in 1988, African Economic Research Consortium is a premier capacity building institution in the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in sub-Saharan Africa. AERC’s mission rests on two premises: first, that development is more likely to occur where there is sustained sound management of the economy; second, that such management is more likely to happen where there is an active, well-informed cohort of locally based professional economists to conduct policy-relevant research. AERC builds that cohort through a programme that has three primary components: research, training, and policy outreach. The organization integrates high quality economic policy research, postgraduate training, and policy outreach within a vast network of researchers, universities, and policy makers across Africa and beyond. We are seeking to fill the position of a Training Administrator, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The position will report to the Director of Training.
Overall Job Purpose
The AERC Training Administrator serves as a personal assistant to the Director of Training and is responsible for providing administrative and logistical support to the Director’s office. The position also provides technical programmatic support to the Managers in the Training Department for the efficient and effective implementation of planned activities of the Training Programme, report writing, development of funding proposals and programme monitoring and evaluation.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Administrative Support to Director of Training
• Provide administrative and secretarial support to the Director of Training including diarizing meetings/activities, drafting, and typing correspondence and other documents as instructed.
• Liaison for training inquiries and communication of programme activities.
• Ensuring delivery of high-quality communication materials to Communications Department for external audiences on behalf of the Training Department.
2. Training Programme Support
• Provide support in preparation of grant letters and documents for payments of grants to institutions and individuals.
• Assist in the logistical arrangements for the presentations by CPP students of their PhD thesis research works at the Biannual Research Workshops.
• Assist Managers for Training Programmes with the logistical support of all African governments’ capacity building projects.
3. Training Monitoring and Evaluation
• Coordinate and monitor the mission and outreach programmes of the Training Department.
• Assist in the preparations for tracer studies, external evaluations of all Training Programmes, stakeholder consultations, and secretariat visits and interaction with universities.
4. Programme Database & Administration
• Organize the training database on intake and output of students as well as needs assessments for short-term training for use in preparation of projections of programme and short-term modular course demands over the medium and longer term.
• Together with Programme Assistants, assist in ensuring that the AERC database always holds accurate information about short course programmes in retooling for economists and development policy.
• Work closely with the Programme Assistants to make sure the training alumni directory is up to date.
5. Report Writing
• Prepare initial inputs for all donor/client narrative reports as well as other periodic and technical reports (quarterly, annual reports).
• Prepare initial inputs for funding concept notes and proposals.
• Prepare initial draft reports for periodic monitoring visits for the purposes of programme planning and management.
6. Secondary Responsibilities
• Undertake any other duties as may be directed by the Director of Training and Managers of Training.
Qualification and Experience
• A Master’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or any other related field.
• At least 5 years in academic administration and/or programme administration.
• Demonstrated experience of proposal development and good document writing skills (some publications in reputable journals would be an added advantage).
• Demonstrated experience in programme/project monitoring and evaluation.
• Computer literacy including standard office applications such as MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access and experience in working with databases and management systems software.
Key Skills and Competencies
• Strong administrative and organizational skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Strong integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Fluency in written and oral English.
• Excellent inter-personal and influencing skills at all levels.
• Excellent analytical and communication skills.
• Ability to work in French as well as English is desirable.
• Prior relevant experience of working with or within institutional donor agencies, Trusts and Foundations would be an advantage.
AERC offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Interested applicants are invited to visit AERC’s website at https://aercafrica.org/careers/ to view the detailed descriptions of duties and required qualifications. All applications must include a cover letter and a resume which has at least three referees which should be sent by Friday 28th January 2022.
Due to the expected volume of applications, AERC will only enter further correspondence with short-listed candidates.